Topic

Made it!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I spent a fair part of the day weighing my gear, then went through and pulled the weights for my base summer hiking weight, both pack and worn.

My base pack weight is 10 pounds! Woot! I am officially ultralight!

Worn weight is 4 1/4 pounds.

The big changes this year were a lighter pack (Osprey Exxos 46) and a lighter shelter (Zpacks Hexamid).

This community has been a big help in identifying options and learning what to keep and what to leave at home. thanks for the help!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Good job!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

It's a great feeling, isn't it? Congratulations!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

is 10 lbs the magic number ? I didn't know where the line was.

I'm at 9.72 lb before bear cannister
    but
    11.46 lb including my Bearikade Scout.

Do I still qualify :-)

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

I really have no idea if 10 lbs is actually the magic number – but when I started my trek last year to ultralightness that seemed to be the point at which folks seemed to call themselves ultralight backpackers.

All I really know is that I'm enjoying the trails a heck of a lot more than when I carried 45-50 lb packs.

So far I've avoided bear canisters, largely by staying away from places they are required. I got a Ursak with liner, which I sometimes carry, w/ or w/o liner, depending on perceived level of bear threat. Usually I use a lightweight PCT hanging bag, which is in the base weight.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Mike C! in Lighten Up! refers to 10lbs as UL. Now you just have 5 more lbs to drop and you will be SUL (a.k.a. Pscyholite)

http://books.google.com/books?id=hjkBK1Npi0wC&lpg=PP1&dq=mike%20clelland&pg=PA6#v=onepage&q&f=false

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Well, if Mike C! says it, it must be official!!!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Who listens to a guy who has moss on his butt?:P

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"All I really know is that I'm enjoying the trails a heck of a lot more than when I carried 45-50 lb packs."

And that is all that matters. 11, 10, 5, 4 lbs it really isn't that important.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Well, as everyone knows, 42 is the magic number. The units, however, are left as an exercise to the reader.

:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools