Topic

Anyone cut down a Katidin Gravity Filter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anyone cut down a Katidin Gravity Filter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Has anyone trimmed up a Katidin Base Camp Gravity Filter? If so what is the the weight savings? Thinking of taking a knife to mine or spending the cash to rig up a platy gravity filter system.

Before you "drops" guys jump on me, where I live the H20 is as good as is gets, so no "drops" for me even if there is no taste.(as of yet that is)

Thanks

Brian Vogt
    BPL Member

@slickhorn

for several years on river trips. I don't personally think it's worth cutting down. For one thing, the fabric is heavy, and it'd would take more work than its worth to create a new roll top if you decided to cut the volume of the bag down.

furthermore, I think you can save weight, and improve the design and performance of the system for less effort than trying to fix a bulky.heavy/flawed system.

Here's what I did:

I started with a 10L Sea to Summit ultrasil drybag. (for gram weenies, take a lake at the granite gear cuben drysacks)

then, use http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23873&catid=669&clickid=searchresults to hook up tubing.

You can go base camp or ULA Amiga style by connecting a hiker cartridge inside the bag.

Or, you can get a lighter faster filter by using a sawyer a few feet below the bag.

I like this system because I can use a standard prefilter inside the bag to prolong filter life.

My filter, bag, element, hoses etc weighs < 8oz total and packs in a sandwich ziploc.

-b

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>You can go base camp or ULA Amiga style by connecting a hiker cartridge inside the bag.

I did this with a Nalgene collapsible wide mouth bottle. The Katadyn cartridge fits very nicely inside, and I connect my drink tube for my bladder to the filter with a quick-connect when I'm ready to filter. There's a thread or two with pictures here somewhere..

There are faster gravity filters out there, but mine comes in at 5 oz. for the cartridge and Nalgene, and will filter a liter of water every 1.5-2 minutes. With the Katadyn, I also don't have to worry about treating my water with a secondary method. It gets everything but the viruses.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

The system that Brian described is basically the same set up that we have been producing at Arrowhead Equipment for the past 6 months. With a Kat Hiker Pro cartridge weight is coming in at 7.6 oz. 8 litter capacity and can use the kat inside or sawyer filter in line. The Aquasimple

AquaSimple

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Look on toward the bottom of page 1 of the thread:

Filter on a Diet

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You will do yourself a favor if you get the Aquasimple from Arrowhead Equipment. I have it and love it, you will be well served.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Aquasimple is only the bag and line. You need to provide the filter. And Bill shows how to get rid of the excess plastic.

And if you are as interested in "light" as Bill is, you'll follow his lead with Cuben.

But, for a run of the mill gravity bag, Aquasimple is OK.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools