Topic

Books To Walk To?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Does anyone have book recommendations that are available in audio format? I recently listened to a great book for a portion of a hike and found it a great combo for me.

While not available in audio format, Nature Noir and Missing in the Minarets seem like great books to listen to while in the wilderness…but I am having trouble finding a title that works best in the outdoors while being available in audio format.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

What about Edward Abbey’s “Desert Solitaire”? Or Henry Thoureau’s “Walden”? I’m not sure if they’re in audio format, but they must be great to listen to.

There are so many books that would fit the bill that this is a very hard question to answer. Could you narrow it down with your preferences?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I enjoyed “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson

and “Into Thin Air” by Jon Krakaur

one is about hiking on the AT, and the other is about a disasterous Everest expedition.

I also want to read “Left For Dead” by, Beck Weathers, another account of Jon Krakaurs Everest expedition.
    Which is available on CD from Amazon

An interesting Book, also written by Bill Bryson, that I have listened to, is “A Short History of Nearly Everything” It is not an outdoor book, but it is quite good. I basically explains everything, from the beginning of time…sort of. :-) And as I think about it, It would be a good book to listen to while hiking, even though it has nothing to do with backpacking

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Great suggestions! I saw Walden and Theoreou (misspelled) both on the site I have downloaded from. A Walk in the Woods would be good too since I have little knowledge of the AT.

I was zeroing in on the stories about or based in the Sierra Nevada’s after recently reading The Last Season.

I did download The Big Bam, a recent biography on Babe Ruth…which while not about the outdoors, I will take much enjoyment in listening to during my upcoming trek/vacation. Like I said, I really used to enjoy vacationing and reading…but with 2 young kids…combining them is about the only way to get it done anymore!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools