Topic

other hiking and backpacking forums

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion other hiking and backpacking forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I've been searching around for some great hiking forums. I want to read about bloggers' trips, gear reviews, events, people doing crazy hikes, etc.

I've found a couple on my own, hiking in finland being one of them which is great, and I think he's a member here. But I want to just directly ask the folks who have the most similar mindset to me.

What are outdoors forums you read and like and would recommend? And/or where should I look for them?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Have you tried Whiteblaze? Whiteblaze.net. It's Appalacian Trail oriented but there's a lot of general stuff there.

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Locale: Wisconsin

Bedrock and Paradox is another great one (I think he is a member here too)

A couple that are more toward the gear side of things:
    Gear Talk With Jason Klass
    Section Hiker
    Lightweight and Ultralight Backpacking

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Shoot I meant blogs, too. Mostly blogs, actually.

Trevor Shrade
    BPL Member

@trevman3205

Locale: Wisconsin

You could always catch up on Andrew Skurka's latest epic trek
    OR
    the one that always makes me curse my self for being born in the midwest(so much eye candy)…Ryan Jordan's blog Simplifatico
    OR
    my most recent find Going Lighter

hmmmmm…I think I need to get out more often…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The forum I found first when trying to lighten up, and which is still my favorite, is The Lightweight Backpacker, http://www.backpacking.net.

If there's a regional hiking forum where you live, I suggest you use it. If there isn't any, consider getting together with other hikers in your area to start one. The one in my area, http://www.portlandhikers.org, started in 2006 as the result of 2 guys putting their heads (and a little cash) together. Now it's really big and has set up an excellent Field Guide describing local trails as well as an excellent forum. The two original founders are no longer with it, but plenty of excellent folk have taken over where they had to leave off! One of the best parts of these local forums is finding details on current trail conditions.

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

Best place to find PCT through hiker blogs?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Bedrock and Paradox is me. Thanks for the endorsement Trevor!

I have a big list of blogs on my sidebar. Most are friends, and most are mountain bike oriented, but some are more hiking/adventure centric.

Roman Dial's blog, Ryan Jordan's, and Eric Parsons' all routinely have very inspiring adventure reports. Highly recommended. Andrew Skurka has also been satellite tweeting his trip this year, which is worth keeping up on.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

>Best place to find PCT through hiker blogs?

Most thru-hikers (on the big 3) keep their journals on trailjournals.com or postholer.com.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@idahobob

My blog is at http://www.backpackingtechnology.com , with posts of trip reports, gear reviews, history of outdoor technology articles.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Gotta stop posting in the wee hours of the morning! I just looked at my post and noticed how many times I used "excellent." Mea culpa!

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

Any suggestions on interesting PCT through hiker blogs to follow?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools