Topic

Bernese Oberland in Switzerland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bernese Oberland in Switzerland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This is an area I have not been to yet; my daughter and I will be heading there mid June for two and a half weeks. We will probably start in the Lauterbrunnen valley. There haven't been any trip reports,that I have seen; has anyone from here been there? If so, I have some questions. Thanks.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

my memory is a little shaky but I'm pretty sure I was there about 5 – 6 years ago..

We took the train to Interlaken and then got to Lauterbrunnen. We started our hike in that valley and climbed Schilthorn — which is the peak just west of Lauterbrunnen.

We spent the first night just a little way up the mountain in some 'guesthouse' in a town there. We hiked up to the top of Schilthorn the next day and took the cable car down.

The good:

1. Incredible views of the Jungfrau across the Lauterbrunnen valley.

2. Easy access by public transportation

The bad:

It's Europe — I've really soured on hiking there.

There is a GIANT REVOLVING RESTAURANT on top of Schilthorn. The hike up is pleasant enough but there are 100s of tourists and honeymooning couples from around the world, up at the top arriving by cable car. It's noisy and real ugly.

If you don't mind power lines, people, a trail wide enough and paved enough to drive a Honda Civic on, huts along way and domesticated animals — or can deal with it to enjoy an amazing view of the Jungfrau across from you, this is a great hike.

I understand people go looking for very different things on hikes but I'm come to find that even arctic Norway cannot offer what even the Adirondacks can in terms of remoteness.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the info. I am actually from over there so I know about the general issues with Europe. I am visiting my family and I would like to take off with my daughter and explore this one area I have never been to. So I was looking to ask someone some very specific questions, mostly about the Aletschgletscher.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools