Topic

easy backpack Pisgah NF or Shining Rock?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips easy backpack Pisgah NF or Shining Rock?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shannon stoney
    Spectator

@shannonstoney

Hi, I am taking some newbies on a backpacking trip in or near Pisgah National Forest, just one night. One person has difficulty walking on steep areas because of polio, so we are going to go just one or two miles on fairly level ground. I was thinking of the logging road that starts at Big East Fork Parking Area in Shining Rock Wilderness and goes back to Ivestor Gap, where there are a lot of blueberries in August. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

B. Kelly Saine

@slohiker57

Locale: NC Foothills

You might consider the Pink Beds area on Hwy 276 just a few miles south of the BRP. Very little elevation change with wide maintained trails. You can connect several trails and make a “loop” from a couple of miles to 10 or more pretty easily. Lots of nice flat camping areas as well.

One of many links about the Pink Beds:
    http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah/pisgah/guidedhikes/pinkbeds.html

shannon stoney
    Spectator

@shannonstoney

Hi Bryan, We did that loop this past weekend. It was perfect for a short hike to a good backpacking site. We went on the north side of the loop past some clearings and camped in one of those. Then some of us continued on to explore the rest of the loop. We got seriously turned around, though. We knew that the bridge over hte South Fork of the Mills River was out, but we saw some logs lying across a stream nearby. One was broken, so we thought THAT was the out bridge. Wrong! We ended up on a “trail” that sort of petered out somewhere in the pink beds, and we had to retrace our steps. Fortunately we got back to camp before dark. Was that the gauging station trail?

B. Kelly Saine

@slohiker57

Locale: NC Foothills

Sounds like you had a good trip. It really is a nice trail for beginners or folks that don’t want/need to be physically challenged too much. Yes, that trail that leads to the gauging station is not marked clearly – I forgot about that completely until you mentioned it. If I recall correctly, it led to an area of the creek where the beavers had been very busy. I’m glad to hear that particular area worked out for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools