Topic

Whiskey in the tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Leslie Bell
    BPL Member

@ftsp

Locale: New York

Does anyone keep their liquor in their tent at night or do you put it in the bear bag? BTW, I'm hiking in Harriman Park in NY, so not a huge bear problem, at least that I'm aware of.

I thought about getting a small allosak (sp?) to keep it in. I kept some scotch in a plastic bottle in my tent last fall and was paranoid all night.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Leslie, just leave it out. They will not mess with it. I have left my bottle of scotch out in Yosemite and SEKI which are notorius for bears and have never had a problem.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Bears, as I recall, like a fine port, preferably with dead bugs floating in it. ;-D

Seriously, you're safe having booze in the tent. It tastes and smells pretty awful to animals, except the human one. of course. Most species know poison when they smell it.

If you feel unsafe with whiskey, try Everclear. It'll kill the danged bear, and you won't have to worry about it ever again.

Hey, Doug, did you bag that fine single malt that you brought along on our aborted AT hike?

Now, beer, on the other hand . . .

Stargazer

Leslie Bell
    BPL Member

@ftsp

Locale: New York

Great! I'm gonna go stock up on the single malt!

Acronym Esq
    BPL Member

@acronym-esq

Locale: TX

> Seriously, you're safe having booze in the tent. It tastes and smells pretty awful to animals, except the human one. of course. Most species know poison when they smell it.

I could have sworn I saw a video of hammered squirrel eating fermented pumpkin (internet videos must be true!). I also remember finding ants on the alcohol table the morning after a college party.

I recommend you drink the whiskey and bear bag it's container.

acronym 5/23/2010 8:18 PM

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Hey, Doug, did you bag that fine single malt that you brought along on our aborted AT hike?"

I did. I always bag the container (usually isn't any scotch left….)

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Seems to me that you are recommending leaving the flask in the tent and hoisting the imbiber. Rough Old Country Justice.These are offerings for Thunder God.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Wow, I never worried about the booze attracting bears. Thanks alot, now I'm worried about it :)

It seems to me that some spirits have quite a bit of sugar in them like Southern Comfort for example. It is reasonable to expect a bear to be curoius enough to seek out a sweet odor.

Hmmm, youtube footage of a drunk bear anyone……

Also as a weight savings strategy I have packed Everclear. I figured that is was half the weight of normal booze being twice the proof and could be used as stove fuel.

My experience was that I made drinks too strong because I mixed it like one would Vodka, at half the proof. And Everclear yeilds a most unpleasant hangover.

I advise avoiding Everclear as a beverage unless your common sence remains in tact after one drink, unlike mine.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

I've seen excellent footage of deer eating rotting apples year after year from the same spot for the apparent purpose of getting drunk once a year. The deer were literally stumbling drunk.

Discover channel?

Jack

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

There's big difference between rotting fruit and distilled liquor.

If there are sugars in the fermented substance (wines, beers, rotting fruits and grains, sweetened liquors) it will be attractive to animals.

Whiskey, vodka, etc, have no sugar left (or so little as to make no difference), and thus have little attraction to sugar loving critters.

An exception might be made for an animal who has been adapted to drinking alcohol, such as a goat recently staring on YouTube!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hey Stephen! I prefer old goat, thank you very much!

Oh, wait, different video. Never mind…..

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

Good to know whiskey is ok outside the bear can. I have always put it in.

Being a LEGAL medical marijuana patient, I always bring some on hikes just in case ;-). I also put this in the can at night. Is it safe to just leave the marijuana/hashish in the tent at night? Anyone have any experience either way?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools