Topic

Need help with a sleeping pad!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help with a sleeping pad!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Hello everyone,
    I've been fighting with sleeping pads and cannot seem to find one I like. I don't sleep well on a closed cell pad. I sleep well on inflatable ones but…
    I have a neoair size small and I need a freakin giant pillow to level my head. (I usually use a thermarest pillow case and fill it with extra clothes/jacket). Doesn't work for neoair.

I am looking at the thermarest prolite plus size small or BPL torsolight. Although I am worried the torsolight is too small. I am looking for something around 10 to 14 ounces. Your help is appreciated! Thanks

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Maybe an inflatable pillow will help? I like the Exped pillow.

The Thermarest Prolite is lighter than the Prolite Plus, unless you need the extra padding or insulation for cold weather. I have the small (11 oz) which comes down mid-thigh on me (5'8" tall)–plenty of room. Also, the Ridgerest foam pad is more comfortable than regular foam pads. I can get by with that much of the time.

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

1.What about a Kooka Bay Mummy Down Filled Air Mat?

2. custom Stephenson's mat 60" warmlite

3. a lot of members who struggle sleeping on trail (especailly side sleepers) use a combo system like the TorsoLite plus evo egg mat custom cut for added support or a GossamerGear NightLite pad

4. I have had good luck with ThermaRest prolite short or older 3 series

5. REALLY do your homework on site selection and choose spots that are not overly compacted and still have some duff to help take the edge off.

good luck in your quest,

couch

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

I think I have narrowed it down to either the prolite small or Montbell UL 90. I like the montbell because they also make a pillow that clips on the pad so it doesn't shift around. I have problems with that.

I like the prolite small as well. Its longer by 12 inches! And only 1.5 ounces heavier. What sort of pillow do you use with a prolite? I have tried a number of different pillows. They all shift around and aren't very comfortable…

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I would email Bender (Ben) at Kookabay and have him make you a thick pillow to go with the pad. He does custom work but you will have to email him to discuss your needs.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Evan:

I tried the BPL TorsoLite, but found it too narrow. As a side-sleeper, I'd find my elbow pressed against the ground (or tent platform).

I'm currently using the Thermarest Prolite small, and it works for me. Wide enough that my elbow doesn't get pressed against the ground. I'm sure the Prolite x-small would work. A stuff sack with extra clothes works as a pillow.

I noticed the Prolite Plus are on sale at REI…

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

How about a full length NeoAir? 14 ounces.

No difference in levels, no propping up your head or feet.
    Use your soft pillow case, stuff it with your down jacket and you'll have a bed as comfortable as at home.

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Thanks everyone for you input. I was reading an article about puting your pillow in your mummy bag. That way is doesn't slide around. I think I will try that.

I have a thermarest trail size small. Its a little heavy at 15 ounces. But same size and thickness as a prolite small (11 ounces) and it has a much higher R-value…And it was only 30 bucks lol.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Evan,
    Here is my solution to keeping track of a pillow. I've done this with a couple of Exped PillowPumps, BA Clearviews, and POE Ether matts. I don't notice the harness when I'm sleeping on it. This is just grosgrain, tied off, until I get it right. Then I'll cut off the span across the pillow, sew it. You could use almost anything.

PillowHarness

This will keep the pillow right at the top edge of the matt, giving me maximum use of the rest of it. Once you position the harness on the matt and then lay down it is pretty well locked into place.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Another handy trick for keeping your pillow ON your mat is to glue a couple of velcro dots to your pillow, and matching dots on your mat. Works a treat!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Lynn ??

Advocating the use of Velcro?

Did I miss something?

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have the Monbell UL 90 with pillow, and really like the pairing. The pillow gives just the right height above the pad (for me) and, of course, doesn't slip away during the night. The combination weighs about 12 oz., as I recall…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools