Topic

wire mesh pot stand – galvanized?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear wire mesh pot stand – galvanized?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

I’ve been looking around for suitable wire mesh to make a potstand, but all I can find is galvanized steel – is this what everyone is using? isn’t this a problem since galvanized emits toxic vapor when heated?

thanks!

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I use what’s commonly called “hardware cloth”. Home depot with have it.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I *think* that once you’ve burned off the zinc there’re no more fumes generated, so you only have to go through the process once. Perhaps our chemist-types can verify?

You might also look for stainless mesh as an alternative. I’ve got an old stainless wire mesh pot support that’s held up well over the years (didn’t seem to lose as much strength as common hardware cloth).

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Home Depot only has galvanized – I haven’t been able to find stainless anywhere yet.

I was wondering about burning off the galvanized toxic part – just didn’t know how long/hot it would take. Go out back with the blowtorch and stand upwind and get ‘er done…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

McMaster Carr has it, but in quantities sufficient to supply the entire forum.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search “wire mesh” products, or see # 9327T626 as an example.

Getting back to galvanized, I’ve got to believe that the amount of zinc given off is miniscule and quite harmless in an outdoor setting.

The only toxic effect from zinc fumes I’ve been able to find in the literature is something called zinc or metal fume fever, which can affect welders and foundry workers exposed to high concentrations for extended periods.

http://www.weldweb.com/safety.php?articleID=8

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I guess I should be dissapointed that my wood stove thread isn’t being read by many here.

I made a point twice to list where I get my Stainless Steel Wire Mesh but I guess no one read it.

I have used a lot of Galvanized wire mesh and it just doesn’t last long enough.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

and have emailed aaron

thanks ;)

by the way – beautiful stove you’ve made

i think over the winter i may work on a wood burner – i’m curious about the gassifying models

David Patterson
    BPL Member

@davidp80

At Lowe’s you can find a small roll of non-galvanized wire mesh in with the gutter repair and maintenance parts. I used it for the first popcan stove I ever made, and it worked sufficiently well, although it did melt under my extremely hot Jetboil flame (experimentation gone wrong….). Good luck,

-Dave:)

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Cary,
    Thanks for the comments. I hope you can still get some SS Mesh from Aaron.

I am trying to uderstand the “gassifing idea” but really don’t yet.

Maybe the BPL article coming up will explaine it in a simple “comic book” style.

Tanveer Amit

@amonty

Welded wire mesh has wide applications in the construction, agricultural and engineering industries, due to its high rigidity and strength. It is increasingly used in security applications and as machine guards.
    The popular sizes are available from stock in standard sheets and rolls.
    We can offer a cut to size panel service and supply non-standard mesh sizes to order.

For more please visit: http://www.perforated-wire-mesh.com/welded-wire-mesh.asp

Stephen Adamczyk

@shootera3

I have some stainless steel mesh, let me know what size you need, I will send you some.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

I get mine from a mason buddy. They use it as reinforcement in the mortar joints or something. They just throw the scraps or recycle but there is plenty so the softening effect of constant reheating can be battled by simply making more.
    BJ

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Locale: Kirby Muxloe

I used to be a galvanizer and zinc flu is no joke, I saw 3 people hospitalised from it and they weren't too keen on the experience.
    Having said that the amount of fumes would be minimal from wire and they do burn off so a few well ventilated burnings would help. Alternatively hydrochloric acid dissolves it and makes cool foam you can burn (there's hydrogen in the bubbles), a thorough rinse should stop any further corrosion from the acid although the wire won't have any rust protection obviously.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools