Topic

compactor bag vs trash bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) compactor bag vs trash bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I did a search, but didn't find this.
    I'm a noobie with a lot to learn. I know a lot of folks use compactor bags, but they seem a little heavy. I know extra strength trash bags are not as durable, but the only things I would have in it would be my quilts,hammock and clothes. My food, water, and stove/kitchen kit(nestled in my cozy,along with tent stakes and suspension) are stored outside the liner. My fak is kept in the top pocket of my pack for easy access, and my rain gear is in the side pockets. There really isn't anything to puncture the liner. So am I way off base?
    Thanks,
    Leigh

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

The secret is to find a bag that will not tear when you are stuffing things into it. If you cram your pack tightly this can be a problem. I have used a number of different bags. Heavy duty trash bags work fine but trash compactor bags are the strongest since they hold up to much higher pressures. I use a bag supplied with Gossamer Gear packs. It is light and tends to tear if you are not careful. I just put a small piece of duct tape on it and all is well.

If I were to pack in an area where I knew it was going to be wet, or if I had to get across a river or two, I would take a piece of plastic that would not fail. Otherwise, if you are careful you should be able to make just about anything work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools