Topic

Sierra Designs Solomente AST tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra Designs Solomente AST tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Colin Thomas

@fullofadventure

I got the staff at my local shop to set up the new Sierra Designs Solomente AST and the thing was very cool. First of all pretty darn light at 3lbs 9oz packaged and 3lbs 1oz min for a 4 season shelter. Set up is so easy, probably as fast as the BD and ID tents. I like the fact that the tent poles are on the outside of this single wall so no condensation can form on the inside. When guyed out there is plenty of space inside and length was good even for me (5 11) and very sturdy because of the Jake’s Corner at the rear. If wind were to hit the front or rear the tent would handle it well. I think when guyed out side deflection will be minimal is most conditions. Head room was good at 39 but only at the first half of the tent. There was enough room on both sides of me to store gear. The vestibule is small but gets the job done. I would most likely just leave the boots out there. There is a vent in the vestibule door and the tent door is all fabric which is great for winter but I kind of wish it was mesh for venting and views. There are also 4 adjustable vents, 2 at the peak and 2 at the foot of the tent.

I think this tent is very well thought out and will be a very storm worthy shelter in prolonged rain and winter conditions. Looks like a good alternative to the now dicontinued ID eVENT shelters. The only thing up in the air is just how breathable is the DriZone fabric, according to the site:

An exceptional waterproof/breathable fabric at a great value. Waterproofness of 18,000 mm (Test JIS-L1092). Breathability 28,000g/sq meter/24 hrs (Test JIS-1099- Test Method B-1). Breathable fabric allows moisture to escape while keeping Mother Nature’s moisture out. Construction consists of 40D Nylon, 2 layer laminate. Meets CPAI-84 requirements. It weighs 2.8 oz/sq meter. Already an award wining fabric on our DriZone sleeping bag series.

The breathability is at event levels I think. Hmmm I wonder it this is a form of Toray’s Entrant. I will e-mail SD to ask a few questions.

What do you people think of this tent for 4 season hiking in BC.

http://www.sierra-designs.com/tents.display.php?id=71

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i have never been to bc in the winter, but i have spent a variety of summers there. i as well was scoping out this little tent, but as i read your description, the main door has NO netting. that just won’t make a comfortable spring summer fall. plus .. zero views when in camp. bummer.

Colin Thomas

@fullofadventure

YA it is a too bad about the door.

Here are some pics I took of it the last time I set it up.

http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9869

Anonymous

Dear Colin:The tent looks nice, my concern is condensation resistence. You have some experience in the field, abouth condensation inside this tent.Is it breathable?

Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Dear Colin:The tent looks nice, my concern is condensation resistence. You have some experience in the field, abouth condensation inside this tent.Is it breathable?

Colin Thomas

@fullofadventure

No EL I do not have any experience with this tent. I do not own it yet but I am going to give it a try and see what happens. I will keep you posted on how it performs.

Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Tanks Colin,I will waith your words.

Colin Thomas

@fullofadventure

Ok people here are my results form sleeping in it in my back yard last night. It got down to 8C, Dew Point 7C, Relative Humidity 94%, and no wind or rain. I think the tent did well for these conditions. I had all 4 vents open, the vestibule closed, and the tent door closed as well. I woke up at 2:45AM and the only condensation I could see was at the top vents and it was minimal. The DriZone fabric was dry while the vestibule (Silnylon) had large drops everywhere. When I woke up at 6:30AM there was now some visible condensation on certain parts of the side walls. It was more like dampness really with just a few drops of water rolling down, nothing major. I really think it helps having the poles on the outside because I had no water in the corners like the BD Epic tents and ID eVENT tents sometimes do when water condenses on them then rolls down to pool.

I left the tent and went in to eat and came back out with a pack towel and wiped up any water I could find which was not much. I had a small puddle (1 inch sq) near one of the side tie outs. The upper part of the bath tub floor was damp but easily wiped dry. The tent dried quickly after that and took it down happy with the results so far. Now I need to take it out on a real trip.

I will let you folks know more as I get more bag nights in it.

Eduardo Lartigau

@eduardo

Dear Colin:I will waith the new tests. Best regards, Eduardo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools