Topic

Big Basin State Park, May 14-15, 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Big Basin State Park, May 14-15, 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

My buddy Greg and I went out for a quick overnight trip to Big Basin State Park last Friday night.

Big Basin is a local State Park in the “Redwood Belt” of the Coastal Range. Lots of very large, very beautiful trees.

I originally thought about using this trip as my first solo trek. The park is close by and hardly the wild backcountry, so I figured it would be a good chance to spend the night out alone to see how I liked it.

Turns out, the backpacking campsites are all designated by the park and are all together in a cluster. There were ten sites with a capacity for up to 60 people spread out along about 200 yards of fire road. We had a couple of guys about 30 feet away and a group of maybe 10-12 young people about 50-60 feet away.

Had I been by myself, I would still not have been alone. I was glad to have Greg along for the company. I'll get that solo trip in another time in another place.

Back to the beginning, I picked Greg up at his office at 2:00, we drove to the park, registered and got on the trail right at 4:00 pm.

Our destination was Sunset Camp 5.5 miles up the trail. The trail immediately dives into the woods and rolls along up and down parallel to a creek. I forget the name of the creek. Finally we arrived at the Berry Creek trail intersection, hung a right and headed up the hill along Berry Creek. There are a set of three pretty good size falls along the creek.

After a short steep climb we made it up to our campsite. We really didn't have too much light left, so we just set-up camp and ate dinner right away. After dinner we hung our food and I talked Greg into a couple of hands of dominoes with my MYOG balsa wood tiles. I forget who won.

In the morning I played around with tarp set-ups. My friend Ken loaned me two tarps that I tried in different pitches to see how I liked tarp life. I liked it fine.

After a while we packed up and headed out, covering the 5 miles back out to the trailhead in dead-on two hours. I was home by 2:00 pm.

I had a nice visit with Greg, always good company, a nice walk and a good camp-out. It was a pretty good start to the weekend.

Berry Creek Falls, Big Basin State Park

Berry Creek Falls, Big Basin State Park

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nice David, my neck of the woods (Scotts Valley)……I always like the hike to Berry Falls. That area is such a beautiful area. Glad you guys had a good time

Rick Horne
    BPL Member

@rick778

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell

One of my favorite haunts.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nice trip close to home David. For years I lived a two hour hike away from the waterfalls. Looks like they were raging. Did you get rained on? We went to Henry Coe that weekend, with Josh's family and my daughter and we got poured and hailed on. First time I didn't bring rain gear. Lots of wet, chilly kids.
    Hope to join for another outing soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools