Topic

down jacket ?’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) down jacket ?’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I have a chance to get 50% off marmot gear, the only peice I need is a good down jacket. The Zues is there lightest at 17 oz's. It looks like it will run about 90 dollars or so with s/h. The million dollar? is do I double the cost and go with a montbell at 7oz's. Does anyone have any experience with either one? Is there another brand at 7oz's or so for about a hundred dollars? Your thoughts are welcome!

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I guess it depends on how much warmth you need/want v. pack size and weight. The montbell down inner is good to about 30-35 (over a base and windshirt)and packs very small. I don't know about the zeus but a couple of reviews mention that it's good into the twenties.

Both companies are quality. I have an old guides down sweater that just wont seem to die. I also have a down inner parka that I take with me nowadays. I like 'em both but prefer the montbell for backpacking purposes. The marmot seems better for multi purpose, like you could wear it around town and not look to weird too.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Can a 17oz Marmot jacket be compared to a 7ox Montbell jacket?

Hopefully you'll be using this a lot. If so, buy what makes sense, not just what you can get a good deal on.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Something to replace a fleece layer or a real winter jacket? Your answer determines what you buy.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

>>>do I double the cost and go with a montbell at 7oz's<<<

Should you choose to go with Montbell you can find the Montbell UL Down Inner for $125 new.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/978/MontBell-UL-Down-Inner-Jacket-Mens.html

You can probably get one used in good condition for $100 or less.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I think that I just needed to see my thoughts on paper. After thinking about it last night and now reading your thoughts plus revamping my intire gear setup this year (i.e. sublite from TT, western mountaineering ultralite 20, and a golite pinnacle, thats 7 right there) was 33 pounds now sits around 15 WHEN I purchase the Montbell jacket. I have see the light…..and the little things really do add up!

Thanks again,

Joel

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

I own both the Zeus and a montbell down inner parka. The Zeus is considerably warmer; a better comparison would be with the montbell alpine light, which means the weight differential is more like 4 oz.

Jack Bauer

@mclovin

OP, if you're a size S. the montbell alpine jacket is onsale for $105.94.

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_alpine_down_jacket.html?mv_pc=gearbuyer

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools