Topic

modifying a golite jam2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear modifying a golite jam2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Chaussee

@judach

Locale: Earth

I know I've read posts on people who own the golite jam2 pack and have modified it by cutting off the waist strap, but I can't find those posts. Long story short, I have a golite jam2 pack and want to cut off the waist straps. Has anyone done this? If so, how'd you do it? Pictures? Thanks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I would suggest scissors, or maybe a knife, by hand or with your teeth would take way too long in my opinion and the result would be ungodly.

-Tim

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

To actually remove (ie. un-sew) the waist belt you'd need to crack open the major seams along sides of the back and maybe the bottom seam too. It would be a lot of work. You're probably best off to just cut it really close to the back and then melt the small edges that are left with something red hot.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

On my jam2 the shoulder straps are connected to the waist straps. If you cut them off, it would be a project in itself to attach the shoulder straps again. I might have read the question wrong though.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Justin, I have cut off the waiststrap off my Jam2 and it is not as difficult as one might think. All you need to do is cut through the "wings" following the shoulder strap cutting just outside the shoulder strap. Cut about 1/2" beyond the strap, fold the edge over and sew. Its hard to explain, but here are some pcitures.

Jamie

Jam Cut Waist Strap 1

Jam Cut Waist Strap 2

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

That looks like it would work great. How much weight did it get rid of? I almost feel bad for taking mine out of the box and taking about 5 ounces off of it before I ever used it. (I should send back all of the extra material to golite for a refund or credit)

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Chris, Thanks…I also removed the hydration sleeve and the sternum strap. The final pack weighs 16.75 oz. Though that includes both the backpad and pad pocket which most people remove to get this low. I personally like to use the pack as a day pack. If not carrying much I simply use the compactor system and put my items in the pocket. I have found the pad adds great structure for a day pack. I have also used the pad+pack under my legs when sleeping.

Jamie

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

no credit for jokes? sad.

-Tim

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Its your call but I would not be inclined to cut the hipbelt off. I have a jam and I usually use the hipbelt.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

I think the use of a hip belt depends on pack weight, style, and personal preference. After reading Ray's Beyond Backpacking I started experimenting with no hip belt, no sternum strap, and single shoulder strap carrying with nice success. Since then I have used 5 different packs all without hip belts. My baseweight ranges from 4.5 lbs in summer to 6.5 lbs winter (NC winters). So I'd say yes cut it off if you know your style matches it. I hiked 70 miles with the hip belt dangling from my side…came back and whacked it off. But make sure you aren't someone who may want it later or you don't want to sell it later as I think this would reduce its value.

Jamie

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I agree with you Jamie I just wanted to point out that hipbelts can be good at times so you might want to think about hacking it off. To me it depends on the weight of the pack and the shape of the pack. If a pack rides low on my back I want a hipbelt (my Jam does this) if it rides higher I can go without just fine. I'm keeping the belt on my Jam because I only use it on "heavier" trips when my baseweight goes above 7 pounds or so.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools