Topic

bivy pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear bivy pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Does anyone have experience w/ the Seattle Fabrics/Rainshed bivy pattern? Or a suggestion of a better pattern to use? Thanks!

Travis Hohn
    BPL Member

@justaguy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

John,

Do you go with this pattern? I’m looking at making a bivy sack and was curious what your thoughts were on this pattern if you used it. Thanks.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Travis, I’m actually working on it today and tomorrow. On first glance the pattern looks great, and basic, similar to most of the UL bivys that are out there that have one zipper across the top. In this pattern’s case it’s velcro. My only question about the pattern right now is how heavy it will be. There’s plans for what might be a lighter pattern somewhere in this MYOG forum… Will get back to you shortly with a weight.

-6/27, ran out of time after making quilt, will pick it up again in a few weeks.

peter choe

@bobobo

Hi, I recently bought the bivy pattern from rain shed and came across this forum. Im curious to see what the final product actually look like. Could you share a pic of your work? Much appreciated!

joseph daluz

@jfdiberian

Locale: Columbia River Gorge

I just bought epic and spinn pro 0.7 from thru-hiker.com with plans to make my own bivy. I had asked Dave from Oware if he would mind sharing his bivy pattern, and he was more than willing to share that with me for FREE.
    I recently bought several yards of silnylon from wal-mart for $1/yd, some grey stuff that’s waterproof, and some green that’s not (I can force water through with a faucet). I had originally planned on making a bivy with these two fabrics but was wondering about the waterprofness/breathability of the green silnylon fabric. anyone ever used breathable silnylon for the top of a bivy?

Travis Hohn
    BPL Member

@justaguy

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have some epic fabric for my bivy top and I’m trying to decide on what to use for the bottom..but I’d be interested to see your bivy when its done. I’m looking for the right pattern as well.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Anyone have any experience with the Meteor Bivy, I think from the Six Moons site.

I’m slowly cutting that out. I’d probably adapt it with an optional cover for the face area, instead of just the bug net.

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

yeah i made one a little while ago and really enjoy it, i used it a weekend ago and i was REALLY glad to have it because the mosquitos almost kept me awake on thier noise alone. i’ve never had a problem with moisture in the bivy, however if i were to do it again i was thinking that a foot vent might be nice.
    good luck and good cutting :D
    mike!

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

what material did you use for the top, and what for the bottom?

evan parsons

@freestyleparsons

Locale: Dowtown LA

I’ll be starting a bivy project tonight, I plan to use pertex equilibrium for the lid and 1.3 silny for the base. I plan to simply lay out my sleeping bag and “tailor” my patern accordingly. I f all goes well, I’ll get some pics up.

I plan on using it by itself in rather dry conditions, and with a tarp, no ground cloth, in the rain.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Will I regret not having a groundcloth?

Here goes nothin’…

BTW.. If you were curious about equilibrium, IT IS NOT WATERPROOF OR RESISTANT OR ANYTHING. It basically absorbs water but releases it very quickly.
    It is claimed “weather-proof”. Yet I doubt it is even that. What ever that means anyways.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools