Topic

Summer AT Gear List – Roan Highlands Area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Summer AT Gear List – Roan Highlands Area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Hello. I am planning a solo 5 day hike from July 6 – 11. The planned itinerary will take me from approximately the Nolichucky River to Dennis Cove on the AT in NC/TN. My gear list can be found here. Please let me know what you think of my gear list, if you see anything missing or what opportunities you see to reduce weight.

Any comments or critiques are much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Trevor

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

You didn't set the permissions to public.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Sorry! Does it work now?

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

It works just fine now.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

-Trevor, what are your expected lows? I am just wondering if the Icebreaker and TNF T-shirts are going to be provide enough warmth for the overnight lows and the early mornings?

-If they are warm enough, then I would wonder if there is a need for rain-pants– since it would be a warm, humid rain almost? You're shorts should dry out in no time and your legs shouldn't get too cold either. I also do not see a warm hat, gloves on your list, and you are sleeping out with just a quilt which would support the conclusion.

I might even consider switching them out for some light-weight (Capilene 1 or 2 type) bottoms instead, or forgeting it altogether.

-Are the gaitors needed? You could take an ounce or so off your feet there.

-Have you consider dress or ankle socks for a 2nd pair? You could save around an ounce.

-If the temps are warm enough for little insulation, do you need two sleeping pads in July? You also have your pack to put under your legs if need be.

– I would nix the pillow, but it is personal preferance.

– I am not a fan of the Caldera system– too heavy and too many pieces, but if you like it and it works for you great.

– 0.1oz of Dr B's seems awfully light for hand washing and cleaning teeth for five days.

-TP could be nixed, personal call though.

-Do you need your wallet+licence+CC+Cash for a five day section hike? Save 0.5oz

-I would nix the umbrella– 5.5oz is a lot for such an item.

-Cell phone, for five days I can get by without music and books.

-bug protection is also a little on the light side at 0.1oz

-No Sunscreen?

Greg Padgett

@tmbandt

Locale: here and there

Trevor,

Funny thing, I plan on the same trip on the same dates other than I'll be leaving out on Saturday rather than Sunday and hiking until the following Saturday.

Your gear looks good as far as I can tell. The only thing I'll offer is that I plan to resupply at Greesy Creek gap, and 19E by mailing my supplies ahead of me. I figure a day and a half's supplies to Greasy Creek, another two and a half's worth to 19E, and about 3 days to the Dam. It looks as though you are planning big mileage days so I'm not sure how well that will work for you but it is a thought.

Maybe I'll see you out there! If not, have a great hike and let's both hope for good weather!

Greg

Edit. Trevor, on other thing. You might want to consider a light puffy jacket. Lows up high will probably be down around fifty and even lower is possible. Just a thought.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Chris – thank you very much for the replies and thoughts. This has made me think more about some of my current gear choices.

It can definitely get chilly (50's or lower) in the higher elevations. I did a 4 day trip in the Smokies last summer at the same time and never took the down jacket out of my pack even when it dipped into the lower 40's on a couple nights which is why I have currently left it off but I will look at the weather forecast before I go to see how it is looking and if I need to bring the MB UL Down Parka I will. I have a Smartwool beanie in my gear list and that will be suitable down to 50 or so for me. If the temps look much cooler than that I will take the parka and will have the hood over my head. If I need gloves, I could use my extra socks but I've never needed any gloves while hiking in the Southeast in summer time.

For my legs, my thoughts were I could take the set up I have with running shorts and rain pants or take my REI Sahara convertible pants so I have something over them in the event it is windy, rainy and or chilly in the evenings and mornings. I've decided on my current set up at the moment because over all it is a couple ounces lighter. Perhaps I should take Cap 1 type leggings instead of rain paints though. I will consider this.

I've always felt the gaiters kept my feet a lot cleaner on the trail so I'll probably keep them. I think this is a personal thing.

I'll re-weigh the Dr. B's and Deet. It's basically in mini droppers which I've found to last a long time.

There are some lighter stove systems out there but I think this makes up for some of the weight with the fuel savings. I have a cat can stove system that's lighter but it takes much much more alcohol to boil water than the Caldera system. I've considered getting a Fosters CC and pot but probably won't spend the extra cash on it right now.

In terms of wallet and contents, what do you take for a trip like this? Just your ID and not worry about any "just in case" money?

TP stays…I haven't gotten comfortable with the idea of doing it natural. I figured I'd get that suggestion though.

For the most part, summer on the AT means hiking under thick trees so I've never had an issue with not applying sunscreen.

The umbrella is my primary rain protection. I might take my Driducks jacket instead of the windshirt + umbrella. That would save me about 2 oz but it would be a little less comfortable in a humid summer downpour…decisions decisions!

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll think more about a couple of these changes.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

@Greg – That is pretty funny. Hopefully we'll run into each other and hopefully we'll have great weather! I was thinking about trying a resupply drop. I've never done one before so it would be a good learning experience as well as save a few pounds off my back. I will look into a drop at Greesy Creek Gap as you suggested. Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools