Topic

Alphamid-style pattern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Alphamid-style pattern

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've been looking at the Oware Alphamid. It seems like a really simple design and I like how you can suspend it from a tree or use a trekking pole. I was thinking I would like to sew my own similar thing but use mosquito netting (adding a floor, of course).

Does anyone know where I could get a pattern? Or possibly how to calculate the pattern myself? I've searched this forum but found only calculations for more complicated designs.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

Take a look at this thread and you will see how I made my pattern.

Tale of Two Alphamid's ~ MYOG ~ U-L & SUL

If you do a cardboard model like I did you should then be able to get a set of measurements for the floor. The model is easy to make and if you mess up it is only cardboard. Toss it and start over.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

If you have or are willing to download google sketchup, I have a number of different tent & shelter designs I could send you. I do have the alphamid type also.

Let me know!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I saw the thread of the cardboard pyramids. I attempted to make my own based on your pictures, but it seemed to come out more complicated than the alphamid. Since it was just a model I was unsure if I got the height right or if I scaled it if there would be any fatal flaws.

Looks like Sketchup will work with my OS. If you really do have an alphamid pattern, I could give it a try. My email is diane at santa barbara hikes dot com. No spaces.

I was also wondering if it would be out of line to ask Oware if they sold the pattern.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I will send you some designs tonight when I get home. You can take measurements with the program once you get it loaded. The Alphmid style shelter would be one of the easiest full coverage shelter designs to sew yourself. I started out with a 10×10 pyramid for my first project, and while it is not a work of art, it turned out fine and I have had it stand up to a winter blizzard over christmas just for testing.

I'll send you some files tonight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools