Topic

New bug bivy, sub 8 oz for less than $80!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New bug bivy, sub 8 oz for less than $80!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

I just got this light weight bug bivy from what appears to be a new company, Bear Paw Tents.

I originally bought his Bug bivy, which has a hoop set-up, but it weighed 10.5 oz without the hoop in it and 13 with it (not including 4 stakes) on eBay for $75.

The owner was very accommodating when I asked him to make a different bivy, lighter with more room. This is what he came up with, and he is selling them on eBay for $75 including shipping. Not a bad bug bivy, mine weighs 7.9 oz on my Pelouze digital postal scale. It uses a more robust no-seeum than some other UL gear makers, hence the slightly higher weight than some others (has 2 inch Silnylon bathtub floor). But it should be more durable and you can't beat that price for under 8 oz.

It doesn't rain too much here in the Southwest, and when it does it is usually during the day when I am hiking (monsoons). I like to sleep under the stars, and if I think there might be rain I pull out my Oware Catttarp.

Here it is set up in my back yard with a Big Agnes 72 inch Air mattress.

.Bivy1Bivy2bivy3Bivy4

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you have a chance, could you measure the head clearance and the width?

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

If I remember correctly it is 30 inches high in the middle of the triangle and 34 inched wide (will measure when i get home). I wanted something I could lay on my side in and read, which can't be done in their regular bug bivy. This replaces my Ti Goat bivy which compressed the knee/foot area of my bag with a 2.5 inch pad in it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools