Topic

Trade materials for manpower (or womanpower)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Trade materials for manpower (or womanpower)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Eldred
    BPL Member

@celdred

Locale: Mountains!

Hey all,

I have a box of materials bought from thru-hiker.com that I purchased thinking that I was going to try my hand at making gear. Well it has been a few years now and I have realized I just don't have the time or inclination to do so. I would like to pass these materials on, so here is the deal:

I would be willing to give someone the box plus some cash in exchange for a them making me a hooded (balaclava style), synthetic full-zip vest made out of the materials above. Of course they could keep whatever they didn't use in the box.

Box contents:
    -4 yards of 3.0oz primaloft sport
    -2 yards of 1.8oz pre-quilted primaloft one
    -9 yards of 1.1oz nylon ripstop 2nds
    -lots of odds and ends (3/32 and 1/8 shockcord, cordlocks, 1/2 and 1inch flat elastic, 1/2 and 3/4 inch velcro)

If this is something you would be interested in, please drop me a line at [email protected] and we can start working it out.

thanks,
    Chris

Edit: corrected some spelling (thanks bob)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"-9 years of 1.1oz nylon ripstop 2nds"

Wow. How long is a year of nylon?

–B.G.–

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

If you can find me a "balaclava style" hood pattern you're on. I've been trying to find one- without a good pattern it will be very difficult to make without you standing by as dressmakers model.

Christopher Eldred
    BPL Member

@celdred

Jim- how about these patterns:

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/hood_pattern.php
    http://www.thegreenpepper.com/downloads/518web.pdf

They aren't quite balaclava style hoods but they would work for me.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Christopher,

You don't want to be my guinea pig on an insulated garment. Maybe if you don't get a better offer and after I've done a couple of other items.

The trick is getting the neck right too, in addition to the hood.

I have the Green Pepper Polar Hoodie pattern but was looking around for something more like the Patagonia R1 Hoody pattern. Haven't found it!

That said, I'm probably going to try the Polar Hoodie first with fabric similar to the R1. I'm not quite ready to go with the less forgiving woven nylon.

Christopher Eldred
    BPL Member

@celdred

Any other takers? If not, I am going to list this stuff in the gear swap in a few days.

Han Ngiam

@hanngiam

Hi Chris, I won't be able to help you with your request but if no one is able to help you, I'll be interested in picking up some of the items.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

There's a chance I could be interested. I've made 2 liberty ridge wind coats with full zip and hood, a Minima vest, a stand alone balaclava type hood, 2 pair liberty ridge pants, and primaloft pants with full side zips. I could combine the lessons and patterns from the Minima and hooded jackets.
    However, without you in front of me, nailing the fit would be challenging, unless we happen to be the same measurements. Also, finish details will be rough. After all, it is a complex DIY project I've never done before for a person that lives a few thousand miles away from me.

My minima pattern is a large, but I tweaked it to a Med. I'm 5'9" 170 lb.look, its a Duck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools