Topic

Some Tyvek Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Some Tyvek Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Life is getting in the way of getting out for the next couple weeks and I'm getting itchy and gotta do something, so I'm going to try and source some Tyvek material for some gear to keep me busy :)

I read through this monster thread and it leaves me with a couple questions.

First: How to do tie-outs? I would like to avoid the twist method, so I can get cleaner lines for shedding water. Is there a good way to attach webbing for tie-outs?

Second (related): the recommendation in that thread is to use 3M Super77 spray adhesive, as the bond is stronger than the material. I was wondering what this adhesive could stick to the Tyvek with similar/equal success. Could it attach nylon webbing for tie-outs? Could it attach some no-see-um netting? Could it attach some velcro? Could it attach my Coleman 10-cup camping coffee maker? :)

Thanks!

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Bueller? Buuuueller? :)

Kendall Willets

@kwillets

Locale: San Francisco
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Thanks Kendall – that's awesome info there, I hadn't seen that before when I was looking at 3M's site. I'm gonna have to test it to see what the overlap shear strength is like for tyvek to nylon. Thom's data from that other thread suggested tyvek to tyvek was much higher than that peel strength of 2.6 lbs/in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools