Topic

CT Thru starting early July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists CT Thru starting early July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

CT Thru-hike
    Probably starting early July

-WORN/CARRIED-
    7.2 BPL Merino Hoody
    2.7 Exofficio BBriefs
    3.7 Generic Soccer Shorts
    1.2 Bandana
    23.4 New Balance Runners (pair)
    2.0 Darn Tough Socks
    7.9 Luxurylite Staff

47.5 Total

-OTHER CLOTHING-
    3.1 Defeet Un D Shurt
    5.5 TNF Triumph Anorak

11.7 Thermawrap Parka Pullover
    2.2 Montbell UL WindPants
    5.9 Montbell UL Down Pants
    2.3 Defeet Gloves
    Sunglasses (yet to acquire)
    0.7 Headnet
    3.8 Generic Sun Hat
    2.0 Darn Tough 2nd
    1.7 OR Peruvian Hat

38.9 Total

-PACKING-
    22.9 GG Alpine Vapor (modified)
    7.5 Hipbelt
    3.6 Backpad
    2.2 Compactor Bag-Liner

36.2 Total

-SLEEPING-
    24.5 JRB Sierra Sniveller (overfilled)
    7.3 Ridgerest 41"

31.8 Total

-SHELTER-
    16.9 Solomid -sil (w/ guyline)
    10.2 Solo Inner
    3.4 MSR GroundHog Stake x6
    0.6 Ti Stake x2 (Cookset)
    0.3 Stake Bag

31.4 Total

-HYDRATION-
    1.5 Platypus 2+L
    0.9 Platypus 1L
    3.0 Small Nalgene
    Aquamira

5.4 Total

-COOKING-
    3.5 MLD 850
    1.4 Caldera Compact w/ stove
    0.3 Short Ti Spoon
    0.4 Mini Bic
    1.2 Fuel Bottle

6.8 Total

-LIGHTING-
    2.1 Proton Pro w/ battery
    1.6 E-lite w/ case
    0.7 Spare Batteries (1xAA 2×2032)
    (photon freedom in first aid)

4.4 Total

-TOILETRIES-
    0.3 Toothbrush
    2.1 Bronners
    1.6 TP in Ziploc
    1.2 Gold Bond
    0.4 Chap Stick

5.6 Total

-DOCUMENTATION-
    6.8 Olympus Camera
    2.5 Charger
    Notebook
    0.5 Pen

9.8 Total

-NAVIGATION-
    0.3 Compass
    Maps
    GuideBook

0.3 Total

-MISC/FIRST AID-
    0.8 Swiss Clip Knife
    1.9 Brunton ADC Pro
    1.5 Wallet (ID, ATM, $)
    0.4 Spare Mini Bic
    3.0 First Aid/Repair Kit
    0.4 Neosporin
    Sunblock
    DEET

9.2 Total

TOTALS-
    Worn: 47.5 – 2.9 lb
    Packed: 179.8 – 11.2 lb

Now, obviously I'm not going ultralight.
    I'll be hiking with a buddy, so comfort in camp is sort of important.
    I've got a poncho tarp and bivy and a good deal of experience with them, but I'm not so sure about the weather.

I should say, that other than a couple of overnighters and dayhikes, all of my hiking has been in heavily forested areas on the east coast. So I welcome all criticisms if things are way off.

Also, I already own all listed items, but would be willing to make some purchases if you convince me they're necessary.

Thanks in advance

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Very similar to my CT rig – starting July 19 or 20.

I'd suggest you add a bottle of Purell hand sanitizer to your kit. Use it after bathroom breaks and before preparing your meals. You're going to be out a long time and the last thing you need are tummy troubles. Suggest your partner do the same so you don't risk cross-contaminating one another through shared food or snacks.

Along the same sanitation line, take a 2nd bandana. Use one as a handkerchief, sweat band, or neck cape. Use the other as a camp towel for drying dishes and body. It can double as an emergency bandage.

I don't see any shaving gear. Perhaps you have it in your bounce box. I've always found a small bottle of liquid soap and a gallon ziplok bag handy for on-trail laundry, especially for socks. Personally, I have to shave every other day; I just dislike that fuzzy look and feel. It also makes hitchhiking easier when I don't look and smell like a deranged serial killer. YMMV.

What are you using for a trash container? I suggest a large OP Sack so you don't draw critters into your camp. Put a new bag in each resupply box so you can just dump the old full one when you get into town. They can be a bear to clean for reuse, and that cuts into your time at the pizza shop.

I don't see any stuff sacks beyond the one trash can liner for your pack. That leaves a lot of small things free to float and possibly jump ship at the first opportunity. CO is notorious for monsoon rains in July and August. I want to be sure that my down bag and my insulating jacket are totally protected. If you feel safe with only a single liner bag, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I have to constantly remind myself to pack spares of mission-critical items. Yes, it's extra weight, but I can not read anything without my glasses, so carrying a 2nd pair in a hard case is mandatory. Ditto a 2nd pair of sunglasses for when I'm going high where the UV is intense. My repair kit always has a spare hip belt buckle (my partner stepped on his and broke it 2 days into a 6 day trip and I was able to save the day). I also carry storm-proof matches in a waterproof case as I've had Bic lighters fail or just refuse to light at altitude.

Enjoy the hills!

Wandering Bob

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

How long are you planning to be on the trail? SOBO or NOBO?

-For an early July start, I would argue that down pants are not going to be needed. I just took some Cap 2 bottoms to use as a part of my sleep system. You could bounce box them, but I certainly wouldn't carry them for 485miles in July.

-I would add in a windshirt to your gear list. You will be thanful on those windy days when and when you get caught in a rain shower. It is a nice piece to have when a rain-coat is just a little too much.

-I am not familer with the Alpine, but could you not just use your Ridgerest for the frame or backpad?

-You won't need 4L of water capacity on the CT. The driest section is once you leave the South Platte and head through the Buffalo Creek burn area, this section is about 11.5miles. I would leave the heavy nalgene at home.

-Do you need two lights? Nix one. One light is more than enough.
    -Nix the spare batteries. Use fresh ones before you leave.

-2.1oz of Dr. B's is a lot. You can repackage it into 1oz bottles and save an ounce or so.

-Could you leave the camera charger or bounce box it?

-Do you need the weather device? I would nix. Colorado mountain weather is pretty simple– you see clouds in the morning, you can expect some rain or even hail and snow, even in July. Clear skies, expect hot temps.

-Put the neosporin in your FAK, which is also a little on the heavy side– could you trim this down by an ounce or so?

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I'll try to respond to everything.

-I really, really hate hand sanitizer, but I'll consider it.

-I did have a second bandana, but just didn't add it to the list

-Shaving isn't an issue. I'm 22 but still look like I'm 15

-I was using a sil stuff sack for trash, but all of my food bags have been nibbled through, and need replaced. Thanks for reminding me.

-Stuff sacks I've just forgotten to add to the list

-Spare critical items. I'll have to look through my list and see what I couldn't do without.

-SOBO. Or starting near Denver. Both my buddy and I move pretty quick, but since this will pretty much be our only trip this year we may take is slow. So yeah not sure on length.

-I think the down pants are overkill too, but man they're nice. I may end up just cutting them. I've got some midweight bottoms I may bring instead

-Windshirt I do have, just never find myself needing it. Then again, I'm usually in dense woods. So will consider

-My Alpine Vapor is heavily modified. I removed the frame and use a torso section of blue pad as backpad, I need to update my list and swap the ridgerest with a thinlight which I have

-I'm only using the nalgene to replace a gatorade bottle that I attach to my shoulder strap. I've been on the edge of ditching it, but just can't bring myself to do it yet.
    Total capacity, I'll definitely look into though

-I was originally planning on just bringing my Princeton Tec headlamp, but decided it's overkill. The eLite isn't quite enough for night hiking, and the proton isn't nearly as handy in camp, so maybe I'll go back to the Princeton tec. And the spare batteries I had weighed depending on which of those two I would bring, so I just need to update my list

-Bronners is definitely too much, I just happened to have the bigger bottle on hand

-Camera charger may be bounced. I've really been debating on whether or not to bring a camera at all. I may just try to keep a detailed journal instead

-The weather device is really only used as an alarm clock, so maybe I'll look into something different

-I agree, my first aid kit needs to be trimmed down.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. I'll try to update the list.

One of my concerns is the Thermawrap Parka. I just got it from a buddy, so not too sure on how warm it'll be. I would only REALLY need it in camp, but it might be nice to add to my sleep system.
    Can anybody ballpark what kind of nightly lows we'll probably be seeing?
    Also, I really love my Solomid, but have lately been spending all my time in a hammock. Again all my hiking is on the east coast, so I don't have a real clear picture of what sort of camping to expect. Would the hammock just be stupid?>

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

"Can anybody ballpark what kind of nightly lows we'll probably be seeing?

I would plan for over-night lows in the mid 30's– certainly once you get to Leadville and beyond.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

+10 on the windshirt. You will DEFINITELY need one, and it should have a hood.

After four summers in the high Sierra plus 20 years of hiking here in the PNW, I can tell you it can get REALLY windy up above treeline, especially on the ridge tops and passes.

How windy? Enough to knock you over or make walking difficult.

Sleeping pad: If you can sleep comfortably on a 1/8 inch Thinlight pad, you're a rarity. I'd suggest you carry both it and your Ridgerest. When you get to Breckenridge, decide whether to ditch one or the other or to keep both. It's hard to face a 20 mile day when you haven't had a good night's sleep for many days. This western granite makes a lousy matress. Besides, the insulation beneath you is even more important than that above you when you're sleeping. The ground will suck heat out of you much faster than the air does.

S P

@highaltitude

I personally wouldn't take the down pants. I usually take a light to mid weight capilene type bottom. During the day it will be too hot, and once the temp drops at night they work fine until I get into my bag. Could be a bounce box item.

Thermawrap top – good to go.

Windshirt – wouldn't leave without it.

Night lows – mostly mid thirties at altitude. If you can survive a 15-20deg night, warm at freezing you are good to go.

Hammock – I wouldn't unless you can't live without it. It has been done but plan on sleeping in it on the ground some nights. Lots of trail here and there with no trees.

It is going to be very hot and dry the first couple days. Don't be surprised if it is 95-100 deg starting out but once you gain some altitude it is pure joy.

Drink a ton of water. The sun/altitude/dryness etc…. is going to be a complete shock to your body.

Don't forget the chapstick!!!!

Expect afternoon lighting/thunder storms, hike accordingly. Amount of rain will be hit or miss but no doubt you will get some massive but short down pours.

I live at 8,000' and there are definitely times I am in shock at how violent but quick some of the rain/thunder/lightening/hail storms are. It is a sight to see though. Really makes you feel alive.

Enjoy, it is going to be an awesome trip.

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Just wanted to thank everyone again.
    I think my list is pretty finalized now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools