Topic

Looking for Inspiration for a Sierra Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for Inspiration for a Sierra Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Know of any good links to pictures of some Sierra Hikes? I want to go first week of July. Yosemite has been incredible but I want to stay out of the park so i dont have to carry a canister. I want to do 10-15 miles/day in an area that wont be too snowbound in early season. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Adan,

Canisters are pretty much part of the game for most of the high Sierra. Sequoia, Kings, Yosemite NPs, several of the NF wilderness areas require canisters. There may be some flexibility in some areas where they sort of imply that a Ursack might be okay.

Snow will also be part of the game in early July. You won't have to plan on hardcore mountaineering but will encounter some of the white stuff unless you stay pretty low.

I would guess that the JMT will be hikable without ice axe or crampons- especially if a big flood of PCT hikers has packed it down.

Jim

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Thanks Jim!

Wow, okay so all that work I put into my food hanging system was a waste since the Sierras is my primary target this year.

I did find some promising areas south of Yosemite Valley and west of the San Joaquin river where 7-9000 ft is average elevation with lots of lakes and creeks. Many of the lakes are tucked into the south-east facing sides of mountains there. I was just scanning the topo maps though so I dont know how interesting those areas are for 5-7 days worth of wandering. I want to climb up to small peaks and passes but I prefer most of my time is spent off of snow so that's what I'm looking for.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I did find some promising areas south of Yosemite Valley and west of the San Joaquin river where 7-9000 ft is average elevation with lots of lakes and creeks."

That doesn't pin it down very closely. I've been all over the south half of Yosemite park. Yes, there are some moderate elevation lakes in there. However, I expect them to be overrun by mosquitos with some remaining snow. Then there are several passes leading out of the park, and you drop into National Forest, and most of that is south-facing, so the snow ought to melt off early. Kaiser Wilderness is a possibility, and there are some small peaks. Unfortunately, I think the snow conditions are unpredictable.
    –B.G.–

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Adan,

Take a look at this thread for a hike west from Red's Meadow to Yosemite- you could do a loop instead:
    http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=30877

It will be nasty with mosquitos though! That's one reason I'm happy my early July trip will be above timberline!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'm trying to find this route on Google's topo map, no luck. Does the trail basically follow the NF San Joaquin?

Patrick Wenk

@patrick-wenk

Locale: Socal

How about cottonwood lakes? Can Anyone comment on what the area will be like during this time frame?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Give the Whitney Ranger District folks in Lone Pine a call.
    They're right there.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'm still trying to decide where to go. I have the first week in July off. I am not an experienced snow trekker, but I'm comfortable all day in mild snow conditions on low angle terrain. I dont have crampons. I will have a couple hiking partners though.

I would love to start at Cottonwood lakes, jump over the other side and try to get down to the Kern river and then back along the South Fork of the Kern maybe. I have no idea what to expect in terms of snow conditions.

Is this maybe not a good idea? Should I be looking lower like maybe the Little Kern area? Do you know of any pretty areas that are really good for beginning snow hikers this time of year? Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne might be another idea maybe?

Dave T

@davet

check out this map for details on where bear canisters are required (vs. only recommended).

http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

for example, my nine-day hike last year from Roads End to Mineral King and back in SEKI did not require a canister.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools