Topic

Bakersfield, CA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bakersfield, CA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

I'm planning a trip for my dad and I during mid to late July since we're going to be out there anyway. The last time we went we saw General Sherman and I don't really care to go back to him. There were just to many people there. Anyway, whether it's along the coast or in the mountains we'd like to escape the heat for a night or two.

Any recommendations for where to find cool weather, scenic views, and maybe some trout fishing? Keep in mind my dad is getting older and a bit out of shape. I figure 10 miles of ultralight backpacking is about all he can do comfortably in a day.

kevin smith

@divr6347

depending on how far you are willing to drive
    there are some options weaver lake is one of them that might work for you and the fishing is usually pretty good
    its a great short weekend hike i think its around 6 miles round trip elevation is 8900ft so there may be patchy snow but for a no frills weekend hike its a nice trip and the trout are hungry up there too the trail head leaves from
    big meadow campcground just inside the entrance to kings canyon np

if you want a great coastal hike try the pt reyes national seashore there is a camp called wildcat that is just awesome its along drive but worth it as you camp right along the ocean and they have bathrooms and running water
    there is also glenn camp which i have never stayed at but its close to wildcat
    from bako where we live its about 320 miles one way but man what a trip

if you need info on other hikes pm me and ill send you some info
    kevin

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Thanks for the info. I thought about Pt. Reyes but it looks a little far.

I'll look into this lake you speak of.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

would be another options. Not a bad drive from Bakerfield and I would think there is good fishing in the Kern.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

I've fished parts of the Kern slightly north of Lake Isabella (I think that's the name). It wasn't bad but it was a little crowded since we were just driving in at the time.

I tried to turn up some information on the area further up river with little success.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Forks of the Kern. It is about 50 miles above Lake Isabella. Round trip hike about 10 miles, unless you want to go further. Little over 1,000 feet hike down from Lloyd Meadows Trail Head. You will be in the Golden Trout Wilderness. Beginning of July is usually perfect weather.

kevin smith

@divr6347

http://kevingong.com/Hiking/200508WeaverLake.html

here is some info on the weaver lake if you want to check it out

kevin

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools