Topic

Trail runners for feet like mine!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail runners for feet like mine!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

I've been using Salomon XA Pro 3d Ultra's for 6 months or so with a few problems. They felt great in the store, and are mostly comfy on the trail, but after a while of hiking a few problems become apparent.

1) The heel is too wide for my narrow-heeled feet. This necessitates tightening the laces really tight to stop heel blisters.

2) Once the laces are tight enough, there is a pinch point on the outside front of the RIGHT shoe (only) near a lace point, where it is just way too tight in a very small area and I end up blistering there. Weird that it's only on the right shoe, but I guess my feet are slightly different sizes.

I'm fairly confident in saying I have narrow heels but a wide forefoot and very long toes. I guess that probably adds to the problem by making my foot sit farther back in the shoe than most people.

Does anyone else have feet shaped like mine or had these problems, and if so, any suggestions for well-fitted footwear to check out?

I've found that what's comfy in the shop is not always what's comfy after miles on the trail.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I was able to stretch the front of my XA Pros by heating them with a hairdryer and then stuffing them with socks. This got rid of a similar pinching problem where the lace attaches to that you describe. Allowing me to get the laces tight without pinching my forefoot. I have a foot shape to yours and also had the same problem as you describe, but only on one foot.

In shoes with a traditional lacing system it is possible to have them tight at the top, to lock the heel in place, and then looser lower down to allow the forefoot more space. But with the Salomon system this isn't possible.

I have been pleased with my Flyroc 310s which have the added advantage of a much better sole than the Salomons.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

I have the same issue with the XA Pro. Try the Salomon XT WING 2. It has a much narrower heel cup. It also sounds like you might have a shoe that is a half size to big. I have had so many athletes bring there shoes back because there shoes were to big.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'd look at Sportiva or New Balance.

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

I have similar issues with my feet, and New Balance is the only way I can go. Also, have your feet sized on a brannock device at a "real" shoe store. I had been under the impression for quite some time that my fet were narrower than they actually are – hence my foot problems.

Another trick is to do a lacelock on your heels which will really snug the heel up while leaving the forefoot roomy. You lace through the furthest hole back/ down, then through the next one to it. You know have a loop on each outside of your shoe. Then cross the laces and lace through the loops you've just created and viola.

Good luck.

Logan

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I have the same type of foot and have found my supplier in Oboz. La Sportiva works well too.

Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

i have similiar issues, i have found many of the montrail shoes have snug heals. also i picked up the innov-8 roclite 295. It seems to have a snug heal and wider fore foot.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

I just spent a few hours at some local stores trying some of the suggestions here. Although there were things I liked a lot more about other shoes, including my current ones, I ended up getting some La Sportiva Raptors. They have a pretty nice fit. The forefoot is still just slightly tight on my right foot, but it's not a pressure point type of tightness so I don't think it should cause any pain or blisters. Overall it just seemed to be the least promlematic shoe. I can return them after trying for a couple days though.

The only ones I didn't get to try although I really wanted to were Nike Pegasus trail runners. The shape seemed like it would be very useful for feet like mine. No one had them in my size though.

I REALLY wanted the Vasque Transistor FS to work. They were so comfortable and fit almost perfectly. They let my feet breathe and move a bit like regular street shoes, but not in a way that seemed like it'd be bad on the trail. They just almost dissapeared on my feet. Unfortunately, they had a strage bump under the outside of the heels that was a deal-killer for me. Just seemed like it'd be asking for a blister there.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I also have a very narrow heel, wide forefoot (have bunions and also need a high toe box due to hammertoes) and need high arch support. Since I pronate heavily, I need pronation control built into the shoe structure.

I found the old women's Montrail Hardrock the absolutely perfect shoe, but of course since Columbia took over, the old Hardrock has gone the way of the dodo bird. Their customer service insisted that their new AT Plus is just like the old Hardrock, but I found the heels of the AT Plus far too wide–I almost got heel blisters just walking around on the living room carpet! They don't have the anti-pronation support I need, either.

Any suggestions for women's trail runners having the above features would be most welcome! I can get a similar fit in the New Balance 1012, but that is a street running shoe. NB does not use that last (SL-2) for their women's trail runners. While the NB 1012 sole clings well to dog p**p I missed in the back yard, it doesn't have the grip required for our muddy PNW trails.

O S

@puddlemonster

Locale: SF Bay - East Bay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools