Topic

Southern california fishing help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Southern california fishing help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey everyone. I have not been fishing a single day in my life but I would like to try it out. I'm a poor EMT that went back to nursing school so I don't have the money to get gear just to try out. I wouldn't mind getting my own equipment if I do like it though.

What I'm asking is this–I'm hoping someone in my area (I live in the san gabriel valley) would be kind enough to take me fishing and teach me what I need to know. I'm willing to drive to you as well. In return, I'll promise to dress the slightest wounds you may have and not perform CPR on the fish. Thank you.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Saltwater? Freshwater? Flyfishing?
    I do just about all of it.
    What are you looking to get into?

Where in SoCal are you? I'm up in beautiful Altadena.

Jeff Antig

@antig

I'm in Arcadia…right below Chantry Flats. Altadena is very close to me–I go to school at PCC.

I'm thinking of maybe freshwater flyfishing. It sounds a bit difficult for a beginner so if that's the case, regular fishing with a reel is ok too. I'm planning to learn so that I could catch fish on backpacking trips.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Who in the SGV hasn't gone to PCC?

The Pasadena Casting Club is down in the Arroyo a few miles below the Rose Bowl. They have casting pools that anyone can use- a good place to learn basics before going out and getting all tangled in the bush.

You don't need much gear or money to get started in fly fishing, although most companies would have you believe it takes a $500 rod to catch fish. I'd definitely buy used if you want your own setup…most fly fishermen are as sick as BPLers when it comes to constantly buying/selling gear and there are always good deals to be had.

Maybe we could meet down at the casting ponds sometime. There were plenty of people eager to teach me there for free- once you start going to practice, you'll always run into someone helpful. I won't win any casting competitions but I've caught a lot of fish and know all the basics- I'd be happy to share.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I live in San Dimas, over by Covina or Pomona. I flyfished the San Gabriels for 5 years and then mostly in the Sierras another 10. It would be cool to meet some of you locals and show you a few things that I've learned. It would be even cooler if it resulted in a bp/ff trip some time in the future, always looking for locals to go with. As far as buying gear, Craig is right, you dont need alot of money to get started. I stay away from all the high-end vests, tools, waders, etc. I've caught plenty of trout with little more than a rod, reel, and home made fly. Much like backpacking, its more about skills than gear. Hit me up if either of you are interested in meeting on the creek.

Jeff Antig

@antig

Thanks for the help–maybe we could arrange for something. Do any of you guys fish with Tenkara rods? It sounds very promising and simple enough for me to not be intimidated. It would be nice if I could learn with that and another bonus is that it would be light enough for me to pack on a trip. Although it is a bit pricey but by the time I'm actually able to catch something, I'll probably have already looked high and low for a used one.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Never tried Tenkara. Essentially they are the same, conventional flyfishing just gives you to option to "shoot" line farther. learn conventional and then switch to Tenkara later when you have the funds and you want to save weight.

Chris Stewart

@cm_stewart

I would suggest starting with tenkara. It will be easier to learn, cost less (you don't need to buy a reel or expensive fly line), and weigh less. If you ever decide that you need to shoot line, then you could add the expense, complexity and weight that the extra casting distance require. If you mostly fish small streams, you may never have to switch.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I agree with Chris, Tenkara will be easier to learn and might be where you prefer to end up after you try both. The reason i still recommdend learning conventional first is because you might know someone that can loan you regular gear for learning. If I see a used Tenkara rod go up for sale cheap, I'll be jumping on it but I have a feeling it will be a while before that happens.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I've heard that it was closed due to the fire. How are the other forks for fishing now? I'm just starting out as well and have spent some time at the PCC pond…

FYI, I have a tenkara and have used it successfully in the Sierra, let me know if you guys set up a daytrip. I'd be happy to come and let you try it.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I checked back in April, I'm not sure about now. E Fork, Lytle Creek, Sespe Creek, Santa Ana River, and San Antonio Creek are all fishable. No lunkers but excellent practice for stream fishing.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

I live in San Dimas as well and I'm always down to fish. I've never been fly fishing but I have been on countless trout trips and have successfully fished the backcountry sierras before.

Someone do me a favor and PM me if this turns into a group BPL trip! haha

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

I could use some lessons too.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I'd dig it if we made a trip out of this. I would be glad to meet with anyone locally for a ffing lesson, I may be a bit rusty so I could use some practice to work the bugs out of my gear before the coming season anyway. Mireille, James, you are welcome to recommend a meeting time at Puddingstone, Santa Fe Dam or any other local lake. I'm free the next couple of weekends. I'd enjoy meeting some BPL locals and if a trip resulted that would be even better.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like fun count me in – Orange County

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

I'm in too.
    I also am open the next few weekends. Lets go!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

My next few weekends are already booked, but something in the second half of June would work for me –

– and I have several Tenkara rods I'd be happy to bring along for anyone wanting to try them!

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

That's awesome Stephen, thanks!

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

That's good news indeed!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools