Topic

TR GSMNP Noland Creek Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports TR GSMNP Noland Creek Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Let me preface this by saying my way of wandering into BPL last spring was trying to figure out how to lighten up my gear load so that I could tote my baby girl's gear as she began to go backpacking. I love reading the big mileage trail reports, etc…but it isn't in the cards for me at this time in life. I am trying to be LW to help my family get into the wilds more and for longer periods of time. I am only posting this report in case their are others in the forum like myself.

My wife, daughter (3 yrs) and I drove up to GSMNP on Thursday with the intent for 3 days and 2 nights of backpacking. In my mind my little girl is a decent walker, I have no basis for comparison though. She can do 2 or 3 miles flat or down hill and about a mile with any elevation gain. I am amazed at how much even the slightest hill effects her.

The main purpose of our trips are to explore and have fun at this point. I like getting away from campgrounds though. So we chose Campsite 65 on the Noland Creek trailhead for our first night. It was a 1.3 mile hike with a slight elevation gain.

We took our time going in stopping often to look at butterflies on horse p**p. This was quite amazing to my little girl. It took us roughly 45 minutes to reach campsite 65. I was warned it was a dump and my impression wasn't much different. Lots of evidence of horse camping and the bear cables were unusable.

For most of us backpacking is about different things, time of life will dictate what we desire. High mileage days, big views, waterfalls, etc…Backpacking with a three year old and your wife is just about time. Time spent walking and talking…checking out each and every little thing. My daughters excitement about all things backpacking is an energy that seems almost contagious.

"Daddy, can I help find wood?" "Daddy, can I help hang the bear bag?" "Mommy, can I help get the tent ready?" "Mommy, can I help you go p.p.?"

Unfortunately for my little girl she was so tired within five minutes of climbing into her bag she was a sleep. My wife and I however got quite the firefly show. It was awesome.

The next morning my little girl woke up with a bit of a tummy ache, so we decided to turn the trip into a 2 day 1 night adventure. She was a trooper walking all the way out. She evened helped clean up camp and found time to throw a few rocks in the creek.

In retrospect we probably should have pushed on, but at this early stage I want her to only have positive memories of the outdoors with mom and dad. So I erred on the side of caution.

It really was a great trip. I can't wait to get back. Both my girls slept all the way home.

Gear wise this was my inaugural trip with a neo air. Very comfortable, but it was a bit noisy. Also, it was muggy last night and I felt like I stuck to it at times.

I also got to break out my V-day gift Ti Tri Caldera Cone with Esbit fuel. I was impressed by it. Didn't need it! But thought I should test it out before a trip my wife and I have planned later this summer.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Park Entrance

Trailhead

Noland Creek

Noland Creek

Waterfall Mini

I need some help

Tom J. Hart
    BPL Member

@harttj

Excellent report for those with families. Looking forward to more in the future.

Mike S
    BPL Member

@mikeylxt

Locale: Maryland

That looks like it was a lot of fun!!! I think you were wise to take it short and slow. You want her to only have good experiences with these new adventures.

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Yea, thanks. I believe in the end we made a good call. I want her to want to go. Hopefully she'll keep developing an interest if not, I will support her hobby in whatever way I can.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

put some child meds in your med kit, everything from stomach ache to poison ivy, outta keep em goin.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Ryan,

I enjoyed reading this. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 7 months to 6 years, and we're starting to plan our first family backpacking trip.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools