Topic

MYOG Windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

I am thinking about making my own windshirt out of Momentum90, but don't know whether to use the calendered side on the inside or outside. What do you guys think?

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

Shiny side should go inside. Momentum is awesome. Have fun and don't skip the "sear the edges" step. I did and it is incredibly hard to sear fraying threads once the garment is done!

Logan

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

OK, I've only had experience with momentum with down, so I didn't know how the shiny side would feel on skin. The Libery Ridge Windshirt Kit almost looks as though the shiny side is on the outside…

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> Shiny side should go inside.

Would you care to explain your reasoning on that one?

I can see a number of reasons why I'd want the calendered side outermost.

non-calendered side will
    i) wick better
    ii) not feel so clammy

calendered side will
    i) be more water-repellent

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Per posts on Thru-Hiker forum, DWR is applied to the non-calendared side- AYCE responded to the thread but didn't personally say the DWR was on just one side. On the other hand AYCE says that the non-calendared taffeta feels very nice against the skin.

Make it reversible!

EDIT: added more info

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Good thoughts…

Anyone in the evening crowd want to give their opinion?

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Have you got a link to the Thru-hiker thread, Jim?

Is the DWR you mention the DWR as the fabric comes (i.e. manufacturer's DWR), or user applied after making up the garment? I can see that it might bind better to the non-calendered face, but I wonder how it's applied; spray or dip? And, in a fabric so thin, can any DWR application be restricted to one side; might it not soak in to the entire thickness of the fabric?

[all questions intended as open: I have no pre-conceived ideas of the answers]

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I don't know

Thru-Hiker and Mountain Laurel Designs work cooperatively on many fabrics, so here are two references:

MLD's fabric page with discussion of Momentum:
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/fabric.php

Thru-hiker forum where a reader posted some assumptions about the fabric, along with some links to other forums. AYCE (Thru-Hiker owner) replied, but didn't address the assumption that the DWR is on the non-calendared side only.
    http://www.thru-hiker.com/x/index.php/forums/viewthread/217/

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Thanks, Jim.

From a very quick look (as that's all I've got tonight…), it looks to be discussing Momentum as being used for quilts and similar, where, for comfort reasons, I'd want the non-calendered side outermost (i.e. against the skin). It might also help for down retention to have the calendered side innermost.

Paul Cernak

@cernak

Locale: North Cascades

Hey Ben,
    How did the windshirt turnout? What side of the fabric did you use? Is it good/okay/bad to hike in? I'm thinking about making a windshirt out of momentum as well. Any particular pattern to recommend?

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Turned out great! I use the shiny side in, but for a windshirt, I'm not sure that it matters other than for aesthetics.

It works very well to hike in, no durability problems yet, although I only use it under cuben fiber pack straps, so that may prolong the life of the shoulder area.

I used the Thru-Hiker pattern to start with.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Ben — no pictures?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I have been using one since I had some extra Momentum90 laying around from a project about 3 years ago. I used a Marmot Ion as a pattern for the person who sewed it. It is a great little jacket and I waterproofed it with the Nixwax Tech Wash. It is not as good as a rain jacket but it is what I use for going around town when temps are above 45F or if there is going to be precipitation.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Timothy – how about a video?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I made one with the liberty ridge pattern with a 10" zipper that came out to 2.3 ounces using momentum 90.
    The pattern is very easy to make.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Aaron,

What size is yours? Also, are the seams surged or tucked under?

Ben,

Good job!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Ben,
    I am 5' 11" and 160 lbs. I used a medium but I tailored it to my size to fit with just a shirt under it but still have good movement. I also made the back about 4 inches longer to keep it from riding up with a pack.

I care about function more than looks and I just did a single stitch a 1/4" in the pieces and left it that way.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools