Topic

Needles Range, CO 4 day list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Needles Range, CO 4 day list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

So I am not much of a UL guy, but I would like to put together a solid list of gear that I would be taking on this trip. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, this is my first time backpacking in this area, so any inside knowledge would also be appreciated.

Footwear:
    Oboz Firebrand
    (was considering Patagonia Nomad Goretex, for ankle support)

Backcountry.com Merino Trail socks

Clothing:
    MHW Xenon Jacket
    Patagonia Nano Puff or Down Sweater Hoody (Which one?)
    Patagonia Long Sleeve cap 1
    (was thinking a Wool 2 T instead)
    BC.com Powerstretch Tights

Other Considerations:
    Have an R1 Hoody, R2 Fleece and Ascensionist softshell that I would like to put in somewhere. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Gregory Z55
    MHW Skyledge 2.1 Tent
    MHW Phantom 32 bag
    Kleen Canteen 40 oz
    Steripen
    Camelback bladder
    First Aid kit
    Beanie
    Jetboil Flash
    Food (how much should I bring?)

Other questions: Would you suggest I get a packcover? Also, any suggestions on a good sleeping pad [is the Neoair THAT good?]

Much thanks.

Aaron Armstrong

@traderaaron

Locale: Colorado

Unless you are doing some snow climbing I wouldn't see why you need the Xenon jacket a fleece and/or a softshell. When is your trip?

A down sweater if it's cold and a lightweight rain layer if it's rainy should be plenty.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

last week of June.

The Xenon also doubles as my rain jacket (my rainshadow bit the dust).

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

The San Juans may still have some snow on the higher elevations in June– so I would try to find more information about the ground conditions closer to the date and be prepared for that possibilty.

As for clothing, I would take your Cap 1 and R1, along with the down sweater and a rain jacket for your upper body. If you have one, then add a windshirt also. Lower half, just some Cap 1 or Cap 2 weight baselayer pants should be all you need for June/July. If you have rain or wind pants then you may want to throw those in your pack also, but if not then don't worry about it. Don't forget a warm hat and warm gloves, along with a sun hat too.

I don't use a Steripen of any kind, but due to what I have heard about them, you may also want to take some MicroPur tablets as back-up.

I would leave the Camelback and Kleen Canteen at home and just take a 2L collapsable, wide-mouth Nalgene bottle with one wide-mouth Gatorade bottle to use with the Steripen.

I would switch out the Jetboil in favor of an alcohol stove.

Food– general rule of thumb is 1.5-2lbs of food per person, per day, but it really depends on your cooking tyle and eating habits. Some people like more gourmet meals, others just freezer bag meals, energy bars, nuts, dried fruit, GORP etc.

Pads, I get by with a Ridgerest or Z-lite. I personally believe the NeoAir is overpriced for its usefulness. I purchsed one, ended up getting cold in the low-to-mid 30s and now it is back at REI, but as always YMMV.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools