Topic

stakes for the grand canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) stakes for the grand canyon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

In a couple of weeks I'll be heading down to the grand canyon, and Supai to check out the falls. Anyone got any info on the type of terrain down there? Will Ti shepherd hooks surivive or is the ground too tough down there? Thanks!!

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Check the weather. You may need to stake something for a privacy shelter, but I doubt that it will rain. Look for some weather history. Most of the rain comes in mid-summer and mid-winter storms with not much in between. The humidity will be so low in June that you will not see a cloud for weeks.

Although Phantom Ranch is miles away, it does have regular weather reporting that Supai may not have. Meadview and Dolan Springs are tiny villages that may have the same weather as Supai.

There is a Hike Arizona forum that could help with specific knowledge of the campground in Supai after the flash flood. You will have rocks to put on top of your thin stakes.

Philip Mitchell

@pmops5

Locale: Florida

I used some BPL ti stakes in Supai last year. I had to tap a couple of them in with a rock, but they went in.

You'll be fine

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools