Topic

Snowshoe Daypack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snowshoe Daypack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm possibly looking for a new snowshoe daypack. I currently have the LL Bean Escape pack that I use for snowshoes, mainly because of the good buckling system. I also have this REI Flash 30 that I use for the winter, overnights, and other large-capacity events. I sometimes get into terrain and conditions here in PA where I might not need the snowshoes all the time, and may need to put them on the pack.

I was looking at something that holds the snowshoes well, and possibly a snowboard (if the stars align for me to go).

I was poking around, and saw the Dakine Mission, and the Burton Day Hiker.

Any other suggestions out there?

Oh, and after reading reviews and such, I think I'm probably going to change my snowshoes from the Atlas 925 to the MSR Denalis. I think that these will grip better, and pack down better (the binding system).

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Another choice I was considering is the GoLite Peak or the new LiteSpeed.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Granite Gear Vapor Day

CiloGear 40L B

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I use a Jam2 on weekend snowshoe trips. The side pockets can hold the snowshoes if you are in conditions that the shoes are on/off or if you have to hike into the snow.

I would look for a pack that can fit the shoes in the side pouches/pockets vs. strapped onto the back. On the back you are putting a good bit of weight away from your body and will make the snowshoes feel like they weigh ten lb.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Take a look at Cabela's Camelbak "Ranger" pack. It IS in camo, being primarily for hunting but it has a lot of features you would need in winter such as:

1. neoprene sheath insulated hydration tube hose

2. zippered hose sheath on right shoulder for more insulation

3. hydration bladder storage in zippered compartment behind the padded back

4. quick release buckle on one shoulder stap

5. "shovel" flap W/pocket on front of pack for avalanche shovel, snowshoes or spare clothing quick access.

6. two compression straps on each side which are convienant for attatching snowshoes (through the deck slots) or side pockets if desired.

I have the larger "Commander" pack with all the same features and really like it. Very high quality throughout.

P.S I use my pack for backcountry ski touring here in the west and need to take emergency gear for a forced overnight stay, thus the larger Commander instead of the medium sized Camelbak Ranger.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I use the REI Flash 30. I really like it. It carries all my stuff, plus crampons, poles, ice axe, shovel, and snowshoes. I even magnaged to cram in two pickets, but not the rope.

The GoLite Peak is also a good option.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

@Jeff

How do you attach the snowshoes to the REI Flash 30?

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I place the sideways and secure them with the main strap. Sounds like it would be loose, but it's very solid. I have done glissades, scrambles, a rappel, and flat out ran down the trail like this and I have been fine.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

more mainstream options, check out the Osprey Kode series (really, really well-designed winter packs) and the Arc'Teryx Silos

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

One word(s) MLD.

Look at the "super" version of either the Prophet or the Burn. The Prophet with its compression clips, loctaed at the bottom of the pack, which can be used to reduce pack volume may provide greater flexability for winter gear volume requirements. having said all of that I use the "super" version of the Burn.

Joe, PM sent regarding specific use of the MLD Burn for snowshoeing.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

I like the suggestions from everyone. I think I'll look into the MLD Burn for as a multi-faceted replacement. However, for this application (including snowboard), I've decided to order an Osprey Stratos 24 (2009) from REI, and I'll look into the Osprey Kode if that doesn't work for me.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

The Stratos is a comfy pack, but be carful not to overload it. I snapped the frames on two of them. The 2010 model is less functional, but at least they switched to a metal frame. They carry weight in an awkward way due to the curved stays. It throws everything off balance. This can be fixed by stashing your water bag in that little area. Keeps it from freezing as well.

My full packed frameless pack was a lot more comfortable so I started using that.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

The frame on the older Stratos packs is weird. I own a newer one, and find that it is eminently more functional than the previous generation. Also quite comfy. I think you'll find the Kode more up to snuff for your application…

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Thanks for the input re: Kode/2009 Stratos. I'll keep that in mind when reviewing the new arrival. I did have some misgivings about the 2009 Stratos, but I wanted to touch/feel it before I made that final determination.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I've been using a Jam2. Works fine.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

bump this older thread with winter approaching as I'm looking for a daypack for snowshoeing- was wondering if anyone has tried a Osprey Talon 22 for such use?

their Kode looks pretty nice, but a little "hefty", they also make a Stratos 24 and 26 that are framed that look pretty nice (but heavier than the Talon w/ the frame)

I've been using a Marmot Kompressor, but the volume is a little on the low side and doesn't carry the weight of my winter kit very well

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

@Mike:

I liked the design of the 2009 Stratos, but the pack didn't have a good fit on me. The curved backpanel with ventilation caused discomfort, and I feel took away some volume from the pack as well.

I like the Kode, but still think its overkill as well. I also want something that multitasks a bit better, and has water bottle pockets (difficult to find on a winter-specific pack, I know).

I think I really like the Peak pack, but have to test it out a bit more.

Talon looks good as well, but I like bottle pockets as well.

Good luck.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

This is one of those situations were almost any pack can work, just some packs are better and more specially suited to carrying snowshoes/snowboards in the winter. To me, the main considerations are 1) do you want insulated hydration, and 2) do you want a pack built to carry a snowboard. You can obviously do fine without, but there are winter day packs that do both. Generally winter packs are also larger, since we hope you are bringing enough to survive the night (recognizing this is BPL, that can be light stuff, but it still adds up fast).

BCA says they invented winter hydration packs (it works very well):

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/index.php?id=191

Osprey has winter packs and Dakine does too, both with insulated hydration and designed to carry boards/skis/snowshoes. Bottles freezing can be a problem, and there is an advantage to not having to take the pack off. These packs are all heavy, and lighter packs can work too. I would watch out for mesh pads that can accumulate a lot of snow.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

"I liked the design of the 2009 Stratos, but the pack didn't have a good fit on me. The curved backpanel with ventilation caused discomfort, and I feel took away some volume from the pack as well."

Warned ya.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

– a way to secure the snowshows to your pack … compression straps work great

– pocket or method to strap a shovel to yr pack if yr in an avalanche area

– good hipbelt and weight transfer for all that gear

that said any good ski pack will work as they are built for the same conditions

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I looked at 50-100 packs for this kind of use, and settled on the Black Diamond Nitro. I use it in the summmer too.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Those BCA packs look pretty nice. I'd never heard of them before.

Thanks for posting about them, Michael.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Joe- thanks for the insight into the Stratos, I should look at the Peak as well

I'll add BCA and BD to look at as well

volume wise I'm pretty confident low to mid 20 liters will suffice, while insulated water storage would be a nice feature- I could probably survive w/o, I need a way to lash the shoes on occasionally, but wouldn't have to be anything fancy
    it does need to have a pocket (or some other method of carry) for a small shovel- it appears the Talon does have that

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i find that in real winter conditions i tend to use a 1 L thermos …having water stay hot for 12 hours+ is a real bonus …

if you want a winter camelback you can buy an insulated version anyways … no need for additional insulation on the pack

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ agreed- I use a 2 liter platy hoser that is right against my back, water stays thawed pretty well there in my experience

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools