Topic

Which Glacier Campground?/Catch a ride?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Which Glacier Campground?/Catch a ride?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

So I'm planning the logistics of driving from Wisconsin to Glacier NP.

Halfway through the 21+ hour drive, I plan on spending a night at the Buffalo Gap Campground in the Little Missouri National Grassland in North Dakota.

I should then get to Glacier the next evening, and will need to camp again before hitting the trail the next morning. So, which campsite do you recommend? Fish Creek, St. Mary's, or Apgar? I'd like a reservable site to make sure I can sleep somewhere that night. I know there are many fine resorts in the area, but I'm trying to keep costs at a minimum.

My trailhead is near Polebridge.

I'll also be ending my hike on the afternoon of August 7th, at Kintla Lake Campground. Is anyone going to be in the area where I could bum a ride back to Polebridge to get my car? Beer and/or money may be involved…..

Thanks!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Travis, given that Polebridge is bordered on the west by national forest, you could just camp anywhere by the side of the road (if you make it that far) for free.

The St. Marys campground is perfectly nice, albiet big and often crowded. Convenient location after a long day of driving.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

David, thanks a lot for the NF tip! I'm going to highly consider that. Can I just park wherever along the road and camp the required distance away from the road?

On another note, are the tent sites in Glacier large enough to accommodate a MLD Trailstar?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Travis, yes and yes. I'd warn that most sites in GNP have pretty hard ground.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks for your help, David. With that hard ground warning, do you mean it may be difficult to put stakes in the ground?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Not usually. Just hard dirt. In the more alpine areas with rocky soil, rocks for staking are usually in abundance.

Forgot to add: Buff Gap is a great little campground. Theodore Roosevelt in general is a great place. Just a wee bit far from, everything really.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools