Topic

Sony NEX

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Sony NEX

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Interesting offereing from Sony
    APS-C sized sensor (larger than 4/3) 24mm thick body (just under 1 inch) 229g body only (8 oz) .
    Did not see the weight of the pancake 24mm equivalent but that a;so looks small and light.
    Details here :http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5/
    Smaller and lighter than the rest.
    I think that Sony just killed the Ricoh GRX/S10
    Franco
    Sony NEX
    Later on Sony will also have a dedicated AVCHD camcorder that will use the same sensor and the same NEX lenses as well as A lenses via an adaptor.
    This will open up "pro" movie making (large sensor) to the keen amateur as well as indie productions.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

This looks promising, but CNET's video review brought up quite a few shortcomings. Hopefully there will be some improvements with firmware revisions. The burst panorama mode is a pretty nice feature.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/11/sony-nex-5-is-small-really-really-small-video/

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I'll allow my pulse to rise if I start seeing "Zeiss" engraved on some of the system lenses.

Speaking of Ricoh, is that a shameless copying of their body-grip configuration or what?

Cheers,

Rick

Justin McMinn

@akajut

NEX 3 – $550
    NEX 5 – $700

Add $50 for the 18-55mm

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

This looks like a better choice for backpacking than a micro 4/3 system, due to the larger sensor.

Also, I believe that they announced adapters that will enable you to use the rest of the standard Alpha lens line on these little guys.

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I did a quick read of the dpreview article. The cameras fail a critical test for me. It has no optical viewfinder coupled with no built in image stabilization. I find the lack of both results in a much less usable camera. You have to hold the camera out in front of you to shoot, which makes it shake much worse. W/o image stabilization you have probably lost 2 f stops of usable sensitivity. At least for a shaky sort like me.

Also, being a older guy I have to wear reading glasses to use the view screen. I hate that.

Apparently they have some lenses with built in image stabilizing, but I rejected that approach years ago when I chose my first dSLR. It seemed the selection of lenses was always very weak and the cost very high.

Ironically I chose a Konica/Minola dSLR, which means I am now shooting with a Sony. I never thought Sony understood the market that well.

Too bad, I like the form factor.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

It is a mini camera with a mini system..
    There are only three lenses so far designed for it. The two zooms have a built in stabiliser , the 24mm equivalent does not, however not that important at that focal length.
    I don't think that holding the camera against the face is any more stable than holding it at chest level having the arms resting against the chest, the way we used to shoot with TLR's (Rolleiflex)
    But there is a market here for a hood to help minimising glare.
    Franco

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I probably should have read a bit more thoroughly. Though, after using digital cameras with only a display and very poor optical viewfinders, going back to an SLR was shear joy. There is nothing that connects you to the act of taking a photo like having your eye up to a viewfinder, seeing the whole image, nothing but the image, and blocking out the distractions and glare.

I think you see an image that is closer to what the photo will be.

You are one with the camera, Grasshopper.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

"There is nothing that connects you to the act of taking a photo like having your eye up to a viewfinder, seeing the whole image, nothing but the image, and blocking out the distractions and glare."

Viewfinder? Try a ground glass sometime ;)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Viewfinder? Try a ground glass sometime ;)

Except you have to be standing on your head when you look at it! ;^P

Ah, I remember my Yashika Twin Reflex with a lot of fond memories…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Mark
    I am aware of what you are talking about.
    Provably the only decent photographs I have taken in 30 years have been with the Leica M6 and the Olympus OM1/2.
    I liked the Minolta X700 too.
    Franco

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

My Arca-Swiss monorail is the reason that I'm not a going to be an ultralight backpacker. :)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Because you are a lightweight backpacker, you Can take the Arca-Swiss.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

That's entirely true — actually the 4×5 is the reason that I'm going lightweight.

And as the owner and primary (read: only) photographer in White Crane Photography, that also means that backpacking is part of the job description ;)

This was, of course, part of the plan. Most people I know have it backward, thinking that I backpack because to photograph, but in reality it's the other way around. I suspect that there won't be a whole lot of people wondering "why?" around here.
    :)

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools