Topic

Sleeping Bag Question.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bryan hamilton

@wookie

I need the help of more experienced backpackers.

I live in Los Angeles and I will be backpacking often in the local mountains and in the Sierras mostly from Spring to Fall.

What temp rating sleeping bag should buy for these ares?

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

Depends if you sleep hot or cold, are comfortable boosting with clothing taken along, are in a tent or bivy, the R-rating on your pad, and how high you are going in spring and fall. A conservatively rated 30F bag (WM, the Sierra Designs Nitro, maybe Marmot Hydrogen) will work if augmented with a puffy layer and you're using a pad with maybe a 5+ R-rating. A 15F bag is maybe a little safer choice, but likely too warm in mid-summer.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

15 or 20 degree rated (what most people find comfortable a bit warmer) down bag with full zip is ideal for the Sierra 6 months of the year. Weight can be under 2 pounds. I find that down bags of the same temp rating have a wider comfort range than synthetic. Full-zip (to the beginning of the footbox, not around the bottom) lets you use it as a quilt in warmer weather.

If you will be spending more time in So-Cal than the Sierra, and most time midsummer rather than May or October, going with a 25-30 rating might make sense to you… But I've seen 5 degrees in early October so I'd stick with the lower rating.

You could save a pound by going lighter (higher temp rated), less zipper, lighter materials, and/or a quilt. You might find need for a second bag though. If it's your first backpacking bag I suggest a moderately priced, moderate weight down bag and then learn from your experiences using it before spending several hundred on a top quality item.

I'm fairly happy with my REI Sub-Kilo 15 that I "stole" for $83 on double-clearance sale last year. The current REI Halo 25 is similar and probably more accurately rated.

bryan hamilton

@wookie

ty for the info, im on the right track :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools