Topic

phoenix area day hike etc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips phoenix area day hike etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

We are off to Mesa, AZ for a week to visit our first grandchild! We are very excited. I will be spending the bulk of the time with family but am looking to do a day hike within an hour of Phoenix.

In the last 3 years I have done Camelback 4 times and have scrambled around some larger parks near Scottsdale / Mesa. Earlier this year we hiked around South Mountain (Lost Canyon / Fat Man's Pass??) and liked it a lot though there we had a lot of company for a Thursday. I am looking for a different hike, possibly other parts of South Mountain. Specific recommendations for the Superstitions? Other 4 – 6 hour hikes?

Also, any favorite gear shops that can be recommended (not REI)?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

http://www.hikearizona.com click on the "regions" map on the homepage. i suggest a summit of Brown's Peak in the Mazatzals, specifically "four peaks".

az hiking shack, cave creek rd. south of thunderbird. good staff, good gear.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Mike,

Thx for the Hike Arizona recommendation. Insane site, huge postings!

Brown's Peak looks like a great day hike, spectacular views. Much about the scree chute and a recent death there, so it gets respect. I have no technical climbing skills but from the photos on one site (Justin) it looks steep, hand over hand, but no ropes. I would expect 3 hours up, about the same down. Sound right?

We rented quads out to cave creek 2 years ago. Only place we could find that let you go "free-range". Had a great time, beautiful area. If time allows I'll check out the store there too.

PW

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

yes, there was a recent death on Four Peaks, but i do not know the details of whether it was exhaustion, or a fall or..

the "scree" chute is easier than it looks from the bottom. better you pay attention to your footing, but there are no real hazards outside of a short, class 5 climb near the top. ive done it in 3' of snow.. ;)

if you get a chance, and the weather co-operates, you should definately climb up the Battleship mountain in the Superstitions. from the Boulder Canyon t/h you afford great views, great hike. and then stop in AJ at the Tres Banderas restaraunt for a taste of some of the 105 tequilas and some true, gritty sonoran grub.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Once again Mike, thanks for the info. I will take one of the hikes you suggested and come back with pics. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

Tequila – good. I keep Cazadores in my home cabinet. If you have suggestions, especially of regional / local concoctions, I might find my way to a little nip.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

you may like El Tesoro Blanco, Casa Noble Reposado, or our local treasure, "Cruz (del sol)" http://cruztequila.com/
    cazadores is a nice one to keep around. also try corazon, herencia, and trago

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools