Topic

UL waterproof mitten shells

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL waterproof mitten shells

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I normally wear a very lightweight glove liner, but need a lightweight shell over them when it's raining. I've found some old posts but nothing recent. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Leigh

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

MLD eVent mitts or if you don't mind ordering from Europe, Extremities Tuff Bags.

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Haglöfs Gram. My size 8-9 weigh 54 g.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Are these seam taped? Where you can you get them?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I second Chris' recommendation of the MLD eVent mitts, I am happy with mine. If you want anything lighter, MYOG is the way to go.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

OR Endurance shells – 4oz, seam taped paclite, grippy tough palm, durable shell

Phil Turner

@philt

I tend to use seamsealed MLD eVent mitts for (UK) three season use, switching to the heavier and more durable Extremities Tuffbags in the winter (where I'm more likely to be holding an ice axe, struggling with snowshoes/crampons and falling over more).

I like the system, you can stick on a load of thin layers under them if you want, though I find using them without any liner a bit of a moist experience in the summer.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

nitrile/latex works as well. I can ge tmore of my sleeve in a nitrile. Nitrile is alot stronger, latex is really too weak.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been using MH Tempest SL gloves that have a Conduit shell, reinforced palm and micro fleece liner. They are like rain shells for your hands and perfect for hiking in cold rain with poles. Of course they don't make them anymore, but they do have an Epic shell version. About 4oz.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=2040&prod=3659&cat=2105&viewAll=False

Mitten shells do seem to be a great MYOG project— trace your hand, sew around the perimeter, seam seal, and turn it inside-out. Ugly, but light.

I saw a guy riding a bike in downtown traffic in the rain one day, with bright yellow dishwashing gloves. Cheap and easy to come by! Playtex makes some disposable ones that are $4.5/30 — not a fan of "disposable," except they must be lighter.

IMHO, Sealskinz are the best for really cold/wet wear. http://www.sealskinz.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/KJ751||~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|53|

Found them on sale in the US at http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/seal-skinz-gloves.html I haven't dealt with this vendor — got mine in a thrift store for $3 :)

Timothy Reynolds
    BPL Member

@magrenell

Locale: New England

MLD eVent MItts are pretty awesome, I have to say.

Barbara Karagosian
    Spectator

@barbara

Locale: So Cal

Also see Dynamic Endeavors:
    http://www.d-endeavors.com/rainmitts.htm

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I made myself a pair of rain mitts a few weeks ago with 30d silnylon and elastic wrists. Easy to do and 16g (0.6oz) for a pair.

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

How durable are the MLD mitts?? I am looking picking up a pair for my wife and I, but just wondering how they might hold up to grabbing onto rocks in boulder fields or pulling on alders and what not. Do they come seam sealed? Are they easy to put a hole in. Ideally I would like to run some lightweight fleece gloves inside of these while its raining and cold. In theory they seem like a great ssytem, just qustion the durability of the eVEnt mitts. Hopefully they are fairly robust.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Luke, others will have to comment about the MLD mitts.

If you want something burly, the OR Endeavor Goretex Mitts are very nice. Seam taped, and in my experience quite waterproof. They were great skiing all winter, and have proven themselves this spring for rainy hiking and while canoeing. The palm material in particular is holding up very well.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

…Do they come seam sealed? Nope. Turn them inside-out, stuff with newspapers to hold shape, and 'Do It Yourself'.

…just wondering how they might hold up to grabbing onto rocks in boulder fields or pulling on alders and what not.

These are lightweight shells, with naked eVent on the inside. I use them for XC skiing, and cold weather trail hiking with poles. I don't think they will hold up very long against granite. They might do OK for a season against branches etc.

I love my MLD shells for wet/cold protection. I just think bashing/scrambling will require something much more robust.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Greg,

I just got my MLD Event Mitts and am about to seam seal them. You mentioned you turned them inside out, but the instructions on the MLD website don't mention this.

Did you do this a different way? Do you have any tricks? I tried to stuff them not inside out and the seems appears to buckle and it might be tough to apply an even bead of seam sealer.

Any tips would be appreciated.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I didn't turn mine inside out. They now look absolutely horrible! (of course, I also did a lousy job of seam sealing them). Bought another pair when they were on sale and haven't bothered seam sealing them.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jeff,
    To avoid a hijacking, I sent you a PM of tips and tricks.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I seam sealed mine according to the MLD instructions, and found it extremely difficult to get a good even bead of sealer. Bear in mind that I worked for years doing "Inside Trim" working massive amounts of caulking and silicone into long even lines. It's difficult, which is no doubt why they don't come pre-sealed.

That being said, it's merely an issue of cosmetics. I love the mitts, they're effective.

I do however recommend letting them sit for more than 24 hours, hanging apart from each other. Just letting them seal overnight as per the instructions, before putting them together in my pack for a hike, I ended up with seam grip stuck together on various points that made my seam job look even worse after prying them apart.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I will second the OR Endeavor mitts. I use them skiing, 4 season backpacking, shoveling the driveway or to clean the gutters. Can't beat that combo in a durable 4oz mitt.

Jeff K
    Spectator

@jeff-k

Locale: New York

Although I have no experience with these, you might want to check this review.

OR Endeavor

EDIT:

Here is a link to the MLD Event Mitts Review as well

MLD Event Rain Mitts

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Are these seam taped? Where you can you get them?

Yes, they're seam taped. Sorry, I don't know who distributes Haglöfs in the US.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools