Topic

MLD Duomid or Trailstar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Duomid or Trailstar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

… spent the last two days in a bad mood.

Phil Turner

@philt

I think you'll be happy with it. Now yellow or grey….. :-D

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

I think I'm going to go to match my Supermid and go with the grey. Kinda partial to the drab colors. :D

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Have you considered getting it in Spinntex? Or would you consider that too fragile?

Say Raow

@lordrasov

Why is the trailstar not offered in cuben? Does the design make cuben a poor fabric choice?

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Why is the trailstar not offered in cuben? Does the design make cuben a poor fabric choice?

I read somewhere that the Trailstar design needs to be able to stretch for the design to work effectively. Cuben doesn't stretch. But I'm not really sure why it's not offered in cuben. It could be that not enough people are interested in the design. THere has never been much discussion about it here on BPL.

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

Being as this is an emergency shelter for mainly above brushline work in places like Kodiak and the Alaska mountain range I want to go with something that will last for a long time and be the toughest in the wind. So I think I'll stick with the silnylon.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Miguel's right. I asked Ron about a cuben Trailstar, and he said the fabric needed to stretch for the Trailstar to be effective, so he wouldn't make a cuben version. FWIW.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've never ordered anything from MLD before. What's their shipping time frame if the item says its in stock? I know that many orders Ron takes are for backordered/custom orders, which take longer. I put my Trailstar order in on Thursday, but there hasn't been an update on the order status.

I know they're really busy, so I'm not complaining, but I'm just curious as to their shipping times. Oh, and of course I'm antsy about getting a new tarp! : )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Hey Travis,

You can probably expect to wait 5-7 weeks. I believe (and someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong) Ron keeps very little in stock by way of shelters/tarps/bivies (in fact, I've never seen anything listed as 'in stock'). The stuff he doesn't make — pots and such — he often gets out quicker. But I think he pretty much makes everything else to order.

And your order status will always say 'pending.' Even after it ships. Even after you have it! That part doesn't update.

But from my experience, when his site says 6-8 weeks, I usually get my order in 5-7! And when you do get it, you'll love it! Quality all the way.

FWIW.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

How long are MLD shipping times? What to expect? MLD has the following information posted on its home page stating that shelters (which seems to include the Trailstar since it's a "shelter") take "about 6-8 weeks to ship":

"******************ORDER INFO & NEWS: March 6 , 2010**************"

"Most orders for major items (packs, quilts, bivys, shelters) taking about 6-8 weeks to ship. Most smaller items (stakes, poles, line, Ti Pots, Mitts) ship in about 1-2 weeks.

"If you have not received your order after 8 full weeks, send us an email. Your order viewed online will always say "Pending" and that is normal. Please see our Shipping and Warranty Info Under the INFO link.

"Thanks for your patience while we build you Super Awesome UL Gear."

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I ordered my Trailstar in July last year and had it by mid-to-late August.

Just a note about the great customer service at MLD: when I ordered my Trailstar, the only available color was gray. When my shelter came, they must have received new silnylon b/c it was the olive brown. I thought the brown might be a little dark for me in the PNW, so I asked if I could exchange it for the yellow, which had become available again. Ron had the yellow one to me within 2 weeks.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

We got our grey Trailstar in just about six weeks exactly last fall. I like the grey. A good stealth color, but still lets a bit of light in.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hey, thanks guys. Those were the answers I was looking for.

So does Ron hand-make most things himself? Or ship the orders out to a third-party manufacturer (strictly overseen by Ron of course)?

And a bit of fun…. Taken from MLD's site: "Any gear involved in a sanctioned wilderness WPW event (World Porcupine Wrestling) can be repaired for a reasonable fee."

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"So does Ron hand-make most things himself? Or ship the orders out to a third-party manufacturer (strictly overseen by Ron of course)?"

Based on the interview that Henrik posted, I'm fairly ceratin Ron and his crew of craftsmen make everything in their shop. They don't farm out any of their custom stuff.

Eric Beaudry

@itbvolks

My cuben stealth duomid took 8 weeks and a day to arrive.

The thing is amazing!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ah, good things come to those who wait, I guess.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Stop gloating! Some of us are still waiting on our MLD orders :)

Ron Jameson
    BPL Member

@tigerpaws

Locale: Upstate SC

It took over 8 wks to get mine. I've used it 1 night. I've got a WBBB & tarp coming now. The Duo may stay at home If I like the hammock.

Ron

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Good decision on the Trailstar, though I'd go for yellow.

No sense to write OT here, rather keep it civil and reasonable.

Trailstar and Cuben DuoMid pitched on a recent trip.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hendrik,

That's the best comparison picture I've seen between the two shelters!

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

OK, but did you pick a "bug" solution too?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Hi Hendrik,
    Regarding:
    "I'd go for yellow"

That would be good advice for people in many places, but not where some of us live. Camping is illegal in most of the US, especially where I live, so grey(gray) is by far the best choice for me.

Although hiking has been encouraged in many locations, backpacking is not and results in fines in many locations.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

What are the bug options for the Trailstar?

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

Camping illegal?? Please tell me you are joking!! You can't camp on normal state and federal land?? Or is it just that a lot of the land down there is private and therefore you'd be trespassing? Man you guys got it rough down there!!!

As far as bug protection under the trailstar when I use it for overnight camping I'll be all cocooned up in my Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy so it should be relatively bug free or thats the hope atleast. :D

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools