Topic

recent hike & fish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara recent hike & fish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

Locale: Pennsylvania

I recently got out for a nice hike & fish day trip.
    Weather was crisp and clear with blue skies in all directions.
    I wanted to test out the latest creation, a 3 pc bamboo tenkara style rod. At just 6' it packs down & is ideal for the very small wild trout streams that I hike to.

Gear for the trip: L to R [Patagonia R1, Bamboo Tenkara by me, small fly case & tippet holder, sil- bag wallet & phone, head net in cuben bag, Golite wind jacket, bandana, monocular, first-aid pouch, self-made day pack, H2O bladder]
    gear

Wild Brookie:
    brookie

This guy was just out soaking up some sun.black snake

Overall a nice trip; learned alot about actually what it takes to hook & land a fish using this rod/method.

I must say that I am "hooked" on the Tenkara style, as it is perfect for small streams that I love to find.

Colin Dunlap
    BPL Member

@blackknights

How did your MYOG rod hold up?

scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

The rod held up very good. It is essentially a western style taper, 6'+, 2 wt blank turned into my tenkara style small stream wonder. Final tenkara style rod weight is 1.91 oz.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Scott,
    Was the length OK? That seems short for Tenkara-style fishing.

scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

Jason,
    Yes the length was ok for my fishing/style. With a 5'2" nylon braided leader and ~ 4ft of tippet I could shoot a decent loop and also utilize nice bow & arrow cast.
    The streams that I like to fish for wild brook trout are usually no wider than 5ft across.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Nice, looks like you're fishing some classic small stream brookie water. Reminds me of fishing the headwaters of Boulder creek for Golden trout where the stream is only 2 feet wide in places. The slingshot cast comes in handy in spots like that!

Cole Sosebee

@sosebeecole

Where did you get the blank for the rod? Ive been thinking about making one like this but a little longer, but Im having a little trouble finding a bamboo blank for a decent price.

scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

I used a local rod builder, as I do not have the expertise or tooling to create the taper & strips. If you can take it from there you should be able to find a local rod builder to provide you with what you need fairly reasonably.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools