Topic

Gear List For Wind Rivers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List For Wind Rivers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

In August I am going to the Wind Rivers to do some climbing (7 days and 7 nights). I know the list needs a little tweaking, but was wondering if I could get some feedback from what I have so far. Thanks.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtYiS3YCdxhEdEt1WHBfaHktVG1Jb3gybzVKNldIQ3c&hl=en

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

No rain gear?

Otherwise, it looks good to me.

Edit: maybe check your math: I get 13.15#
    Edit2: your summary is missing Other Items Worn

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

I edited the spreadsheet to account for that in the summary. Thanks. Raingear is just my GoLite Helios. Think I need more waterproof raingear? Last year I was fine with just a Mountain Hardwear softshell and umbrella.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I was snowbound for a day late last August, north of Lester Pass. I didn't have to be anywhere so a wind shell would have been OK.

I can't predict weather.
    It is the mountains.
    It's your call.

Edit: If you're at the Cirque you can be out in an easy day, so no big deal. Gannett on the other hand…

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Gannett and Titcomb Basin are where I will be.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Many years ago my wife and took two weeks in August and hiked from the southern end of the Wind River range to the northern end. We had two nice sunny days, but heavy afternoon rain on every other day but two. We had to be over the passes by noon to avoid the lightning on the wet days. On one of those two non rainy days we got 24 inches of snow that kept us from hiking (couldn't see the trail) for a couple of days. We rationed our food and swapped books and enjoyed the adventure of being in a plastic tube tent in the snow for 2 days before the snow settled enough that we could kind of see the trail. Ten miles of wet hiking got us below the snowline. I'd suggest being prepared for rain and cold weather. I gather the Winds can dish out both.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Maybe I will ditch the Golite wind jacket for a Montbell Outpace Parka. I think it is like a six ounce penalty but it is MUCH more weather resistant. Any suggestions on where I might be able to reduce my load? I will actually be going with another pack since I have to carry my climbing gear in with me as well and the GG Virga can't handle loads much bigger than 20-30 pounds or so without becoming VERY uncomfortable.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

"Two cents" worth of suggestions:

Leave out:

spare shirt – Icebreaker 150 (4.5 oz)
    Old Spice (.5 oz)

Substitute (if cooking for just for 1 or 2):

alcohol stove (.57 oz), platypus w/alcohol (10 oz), esbit tab backup (.5 oz), and ulc caldera cone that fits the MLD pot (1.3 oz) instead of the MSR Pocket Rocket (3.0 oz) and the Isobutane cannister (8.5 oz).

Add:

wool liner gloves (Icebreaker or Ibex at 1.0 to 1.5 oz)
    waterproof shell mittens (see MLD at 1.20 oz)
    micro-dropper bottle w/liquid soap (0.5 or 1.0 oz)
    map in ziploc (1.5 oz)
    compass (1.0 oz)
    golf pencil (0.1 oz)
    waterproof paper (0.2)
    critter protection re food/toiletries — cord? Aloksak odor-proof bag? hang sack? (3.0 oz or so)

Include in pack weight:

Any stuff sacks — sleeping bag? spare clothes? (<.5 oz ea)

The heavier rain gear you noted above is a good idea. It was my experience in a late summer trip to the Winds that weather can go (in the span of a day, and quickly) from bright sun and blue sky to hard-driving rain, to sleet, to hail, to snow, and with a lot of loud (nearby) lightening stikes and very strong winds.

Since you list a "t-shirt" as the shirt worn, that wind shirt (helios?) might still be good to include for sun protection if your heavier rain jacket is too "heavy" for comfortable hiking in sun. I wear a lighweight long-sleeve shirt (Railrider) for sun protection while hiking, and its pockets are nice to have available, too.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Gotta agree with everyone else; I would take a storm shell. I'd take a windshirt too, especially if headed for the Divide, which if you're climbing out of Titcomb you surely will be. I've been caught a few times by big weather in that area, and if you're out for a week you are almost gauranteed to get some big weather. You'll be wearing that windshirt most of the time on the ridges, and if you're basecamping and climbing, you might not be able to directly/immediately retreat to your camp in a storm. That's where a good shell can save you; when you have no choice but to be out in nasty weather.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools