Topic

Vibram FiveFingers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Vibram FiveFingers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here’s a new shoe that is different– the Vibram FiveFingers– like toe socks with a sole!? $70 and 8-10oz. per pair.

Vibram FiveFingers shoes

Quoted from http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products.html
    “IT’S UNLIKE ANY OTHER.
    FiveFingers™ is the first and only footwear to offer the exhilarating freedom of going barefoot—with the protection and surefooted grip of a Vibram® sole.

And that makes it ideal for a wide range activities you’d probably rather do barefoot—boating, kayaking, canoeing, canyoneering, coastal approach, even after-sport recovery.

FiveFingers gives you a gecko-like grip on slippery surfaces. They protect your tender feet from scorching sand and sharp rocks. FiveFingers helps to promote a more natural walking motion. They gently separate each toe, while stimulating and exercising the muscles of the feet.

Go barefoot—without leaving yourself exposed.”

You can buy them on the Virbram site and MEC in Canada (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618777&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471&bmUID=1149487798697)

Weird, huh?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For the ultimate in backcountry fashion, may I suggest complementing these with the letter carriers’ pith helmet? A loincloth may be added for modesty, if desired.

Jordan Yaruss

@samplesize

Damn! I thought I was going to be the first to post about these. Ya beat me to it.

Well, I’d be interested in hearing from anyone using these as camp/river crossing shoes. I currently use (and love) Crocs.

Patrick Baker

@wildman

My size 44 (11) are about 11.5 oz per pair. I really like how they feel, but they really do retain foot smell.

I am concerned about thier long-term durabilty after I wore them to 3-4 indoor fitness classes and have noticed some accelerated wear and tear.

Re-weighed them this morning at 11.5 for the pair.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Sorry to hear that. At 11.8oz, I might as well use my Crocs. The FiveFingers look like fun anyway.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> I’d be interested in hearing from anyone using these as camp/river crossing shoes.

I put two miles on mine today on a rock and dirt trail with a 25-pound kid-pack. I could feel pebbles and rocks under my feet, but they didn’t hurt. No dirt or rocks got inside the shoes. They were very grippy when walking on rock; nice. At the end of the hike I had hotspots on the pads at the base of my big toe, so until I build up more calluses I’ll need to wear them for shorter distances.

At the end of the hike I climbed around on rocks in a stream. They gripped just as nicely on wet rock as on dry, and they gave no hint of coming off. They were dry about ten minutes later. I’ve used my Crocs for river crossing and, although they work, there’s no comparison in footing quality–the Five Fingers don’t slip around either on my feet or on the rocks.

I’m not sure whether I could hike two miles barefoot in my Crocs; haven’t tried, and probably won’t. I wasn’t planning to use the Five Fingers for hiking (although, except for the hotspots, they were comfortable), but I think they will replace my Crocs for camp/river shoes.

However, the Sprint Aquatics mesh shoes weigh only 2 oz…

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I just bought some airwalks at Payless shoes for $20 that weigh in at about 10 oz and will work for me as camp shoes and water shoes.

Check them out at:

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Mens&Size=7Regular&SLC=MensSandals&BLC=MensSandalsBeach&ItemCode=54069&DescriptiveColor=Black&Width=Regular&Type=Adult&VTLC=&LotNumber=045233&cm_id=sizedropmenu

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I got a pair of them in bright orange– I get a lot of comments :) They are about as light as I’ve found and you will find them on sale for $15 now and then. I’ve worn them to work and I do a lot of walking and lifting.

If they could just get a shoe like this down to 6oz or so. The soles are thicker than needed and the rest could be pared down. I would like a more postive closure than the Velcro and of course the fake buckle can go.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I just bought some airwalks at Payless shoes

Airwalks, which are the same design as Crocs, are 20% lighter for the same size. (E.g., Men’s size 12: Airwalks 10.5 oz; Crocs 13.2 oz.) So if you’re thinking of buying Crocs for camp/water shoes, definitely go with the Airwalks.

Airwalks are about the same weight as Vibram FiveFingers in the same fit (size 43: 10.7 oz.).

Justin Prim

@kidprim

I just wanted to add to this old topic. I have owned a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers KSO in Mens for about 14 months. I use them as my only shoe, whether at work, in the woods, traveling, etc. After 14 months, the soles are finally starting to wear through. FOr 7 months, I wore these 40 hours a week, working in a kitchen, walking and standing all day on hard wood and tile. These shoes really last. They are comfortable, and light. Only problem is you pretty much have to wash them once a week because they smell.

I am about to buy a new pair this week of the Classic's. Im hoping since the classics have a bigger opening for the foot that they will air out better when I take them off. I don't mind throwing them in the washer once a week with my laundry though. I am wearing these shoes for the rest of my life or until they stop making them.

My wife and I are planning a cross country walking trip for 2010 or 2011 and we are going ultralight and that includes Vibram Five Fingers. I'll let you know how it goes in 2 years!

Kenneth Pendley

@kspendleymindspring-com

I have not much trouble in the odor department running the KSO's with Injinji socks. Course I am not wearing them full on 40+ hours a week, but they do see plenty of gym and trail time – just a thought.

Michael Demchak

@mikey

Locale: new england

i have to say i also love the fiver fingers, they are now the only "shoe" i trail run with, its a completely different way to run and believe it or not puts a lot less strain on my knees. i've used it for a few backpacking trips aswell and if theres a lot of descending i do notice the webbing parts between my toes make some contact with each toe pocket divider, but with a pair of injini toe socks, it's a great combination! it deffinitly does reduce the odor aswell.
    mike!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Vibram has several styles. For trail running, the KSO works best. My size 43 weight 13.8 oz for the pair. With the KSO, Vibram recommends using the Injinti toe socks, but I find them not as comfortable, as sans socks.

The KSOs do a good job of "Keeping Stuff Out" which is what KSO stands for.

I really like them. They do need to be washed periodically to get rid of the smell.

For hiking in the KSO, I have a tendency to hit my little toes on rocks which is painful. Not a good shoe for rocky trails. Just imagine walking barefoot with all your toes spread out on the ground.

The theory behind the fivefingers is you will run naturally. With conventional running shoes, runners usually run with a heel strike, which leads to injuries. The fivefingers do not force you to run with a ball strike, but the bone jarring impact from a heel strike forces the body to subconsciously run on the balls of your feet, which allows the legs to act as a spring. This change in running will soon cause calf and other muscle soreness, until you build up those muscles. Also if you are not used to walking barefoot on in flip flops full time, it takes some time to build strength in the arch.

For all around trail wear, these are a one-shoe-does-everything solution, as long as the trail is well maintained and you have worn them daily. Do not undertake a long hike without wearing them everyday for a period of time.

I have switched to cross country running flats for most backpacking, because they are lighter than the fivefingers, have more support, and shoe laces provide more fit adjustment on a trip. I recently did a tough 60 mile hike in racing flats. I would have had foot problems, because flats have little support. But no problems encountered since I had been wearing the fivefingers daily for footwear and running workouts. The fivefingers had built up strength in all the components of my feet, which allowed me to hike in flats.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools