Topic

Bug spray in Grand Canyon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Bug spray in Grand Canyon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Do I need to pack bug protection for a June rim to rim trip? I am thinking no. But I dont know.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

You will not need it. It seems conceivable that you might get a few evening bugs at camps like Phantom or Cottonwood (lots of slow water around), but nothing approaching what I'd say requires bug spray.

Then again, I never use bug spray. (But do bring a headnet all summer in the mountains.)

I'd worry more about the heat!

Brian Martin
    BPL Member

@xiled1

Locale: AZ

When I was there in early April, there were actually a few mosquitos to deal with. I used bug spray one of the nights. Its still been pretty cool, but the rain has mostly gone away. Mosquitos would be localized to areas with standing water for the most part, so you won't need it the entire time.

It really depends on your bug tolerance. I have none and get eaten up pretty bad when they are around, so I always bring some. The other guy on my trip was not bothered by them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools