Topic

Insulated pot like jetboil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Insulated pot like jetboil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dont Wantto

@longhiker

Since everyone thinks jetboil is too heavy, I am surprised I havent seen good MYOG insulation projects for Beer pots or for Snow Peak and other Titanium pots..

I saw some mods where people install a cozy on it just for handling purposes but has anyone installed good insulation? How low could you get the boil time?

Looking to boil 2 cups of water (0.43 L) at a time as quickly as possible.. say 3 – 4 mins… on a cat-can alcohol stove.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

The articles posted here on BPL suggest that a built in pot cozy like the Jetboil's isn't worth the weight. That may be why no one has invested time in it.

HJ

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

One of the beer can pots wrapped with fiberglass wick would be somewhat insulated.

A neoprene cozy like Jetboil uses probably wouldn't be a good idea without a controlled flame and heat exchanger like Jetboil. I suspect it would get singed too easily.

Insulation is good to help reduce fuel use when simmering and make it safer to handle. I don't know if it significantly reduces boil time in moderate weather.

The biggest reason I like using my Jetboil is convenience- from the pack to cooking takes only 30 seconds, with boil coming 2 minutes or so later. That makes it nice for a trailside cuppa, but doesn't really save anything in camp. Is a minute or two difference for getting dinner really meaningful?

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

The neoprene cosy on the JetBoil is only really possible because the flux ring takes enough heat out of the burner exhaust to stop the neoprene burning.

So, unless you run your 'conventional pan & burner' very cool, the gas going up the side is likely to be too hot for most insulations.

Try sticking your fingers near the bottom edge of your pan when the burner's running, and seeing how long you can hold them there. Now try with a JetBoil.

YMMV…

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Yeah; what Jim said: I've tested Thermawrap insulation on lids, and it seems to make no difference.

JetBoils get their improved boil times/reduced fuel use by sucking more heat out of the flame.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I do find the jetboil attractive because of the convenience.. but that includes the quick setup and the quick boiltime.

If it really takes 3 mins to go from stopping your hike to having 0.5 L of boiling water, I can imagine that my partner and I would feel like having a soup AND a warm (dehydrated / freeze-dried) meal.. and maybe some tea to finish up.

I've been using the pocket rocket with an Snow Peak ~1 L (not sure of exact size). It takes 6 mins or so to get boiling in which time I have to be holding the pot so it doesn't topple over. We never feel like making anything beyond 1 hot course.. no soups etc.

I guess more than the boil time, it's annoying that I have to hold the pot the entire time. (It's fallen over before..) I guess I could spend time trying to stabilize it instead.. but then there is the whole weight-of-fuel issue if the two of us go on a 3 – 4 day hike and want warm breakfast and dinner.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I think your annoyance with the pocket rocket might be reduced if you just had a more stable platform.

I like the Jetboil tripod legs for the fuel can. They would work on your PR too. Other people have made fuel can legs from a big rubber band and three sticks.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I have had some spills with the Pocket Rocket.

As a user, I can safely say that each of the spills was my fault in not seeking a stable base for the stove/canister in the first place.

I bought a different stove, subsequently, and with the same canisters there hasn't been a spill in over 100 uses.

Reason, I earned the importance of MAKING a stable platform for setting up the stove/canister from my previous mistakes.

You may want to consider things like the commercial 3 point holders for the fuel canister – the famous three point stable base.

Or you might think of stomping a flat area in the dirt with your boots, or use of your potty scoop for "ground engineering", or picking up small slivers of wood or twigs to remove the wobble from however you have tried to set up the canister/stove on a non-flat surface.

I believe it is possible to set up an otherwise stable item unstably with careful selection of setup location.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I do agree that the instability isn't really about the pocket rocket. Yes, the pocket rocket doesn't hold a 1 L snow peak pot very stably but the canister's contact with the ground is perhaps the bigger problem.

I did see pics somewhere of the following — wrapping an elastic band around the canister's perimeter tightly and sticking 3 pieces of wood or 3 stakes through the elastic.. ground contact with 3 pieces of wood is stable but 3 tent stakes that go into the ground / stones would be even more stable..

don't know.. i'm in half a mind to get the jetboil and just pay the 3 – 5 oz penalty.. but the other half mind tells me to make a keg pot or something on my aluminum stove and fiddle..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools