Topic

WM Highlite vs. Megalite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM Highlite vs. Megalite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I need a 2-3 season bag and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. Does anyone have experience with both or wished they’d gone with one over the other? I’m really torn as to which bag to purchase.

Also, I have considered Montbell, Feathered Friends, and Marmot’s higher end stuff. Any feedback on these vs. the WM bags?

My requirements:
    1. Light (duh). I am targeting 1.5 to 1 lb.
    2. 35-70 degree range, with the possiblity of challenging freezing temp with layers (but not much below).
    3. Longevity. I only want to do this once.

I am a warm sleeper and I prefer POE’s full length Insulmats (Max Compact and Thermo). I tend to be a side sleeper and have fairly wide shoulders but function is more important to me than the perfect fit. This bag will see some use by my wife, as well, so I am not sure if a quilt would be an option. Thanks in advance.

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I have both the Highlite and Megalite. I also have the FF Rock Wren. The (2) WM bags are my favorites. If I had to have only one it would definately be the Megalite. Mine has 2 oz overfill making it even warmer (and 2 oz heavier). It’s available at Hermits Hut

http://store.hermitshut.com/wesmounmegba.html

I use the Highlite whenever it’s warm enough. I use BPL Cocoons and silk long johns to bring the warmth up. But, when it gets down near freezing I still prefer the Megalite.

I sleep in a hammock, so if you’re a ground sleeper you may find both bags warmer than I do.

All these bags are great bags. One other thing is the Megalight has a full zipper, but the Highlite only a 3/4. I modified my Highlite by installing a full zip in it. The 3/4 just didn’t work well in the hammock setup.

So my Highlite is 17.1 oz and my Megalite is 24.8 oz

Hope this helps.

Brett Balmer
    BPL Member

@backcountry

Locale: Northeast US

The Caribou MF is the bag that currently has my eye. It is 4oz heavier than the Highlite, but you get more girth at the shoulders and feet, as well as a full zip which I personally want for hot summer nights. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ExtremeLite fabric v.s. the MicroLite XP? I understand the MicroLite is more durable and weather resistant (at the cost of more weight). Is one more comfortable next to the skin than another?

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Carol,

Thanks for the info. You mentioned that your Megalite is overfilled? Will WM do other customizations such as putting a full length zip on a Highlite or is extra down the extent of their custimization?

I second the question about the Microlite shells vs. the Extremelite fabric. Any feedback from WM owners there? A friend owns the Megalite so I’ve seen the latter’s shell fabric. Durability concerns over the long haul perhaps?

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I don’t think WM does custom work, but I’m not sure. The overfilled bag is available as far as I know only from Hermit’s Hut online. I think they have a large batch of these done for them by WM, but I don’t think WM does single special orders.

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I have the Megalite. It certainly keeps me warm to below 30 Deg. I like it a lot. The only thing I notice is that compared to my previous, more conventional TNF, bag the shell lacks wind resistance. If you find yourself sleeping outside on a cold windy night that could be a real factor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools