Topic

nPeg finally here

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) nPeg finally here

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

I've been waiting quite a while for this to be released so that I could have way to charge my iPhone on the trail. Bummer I don't have cash to spare right now, but some of you may be interested.

http://greennpower.com/personalenergy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting idea, but I don't use my phone enough on the trail to warrant the 13 ounces of weight in my pack. I'm sure some people will love this product though.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It's cute, but nowhere on its specifications page does it state what the power output is.

In other words, if you had to shake the thing for 10 seconds to charge up a specific battery, that would mean something. If you had to shake it for 10 hours to charge up the same battery, it would be worthless.

–B.G.–

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I'm very skeptical. This thing relies on the weight of it's ~8oz internal pendulum to be converted into charge. A designer in the UK built a backpack which floated on it's frame and was geared to a dynamo. Around 30 pounds bobbing up and down, and it generated about 3 watts. A phone battery which takes 2 hours to charge at 500mA at 5.5V will need a lot more than this gizmo will produce to charge in any reasonble time. The blurb comments that on average phones need a charge once a week. If only that were true. The subtext is that this thing will take all week to charge up enough to stick a bit of juice into your phone. Even then, I bet it won't get anywhere near charging it fully.

Some years ago, I had an email convo with a U.S. defence R&D scientist who was working on generating from piezo pads built into the heels of army boots. They had achieved around one watt, and those G.I.'s carry big packs!

You can probably buy a lot of spare batteries for your phone/mp3 player which will cost less, weigh less, and get you further than this device.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Mophie makes a case theat has an internal battery that doubles your life, making it last longer without a gimmicky charger. also alot lighter.

http://www.mophie.com/Juice-Pack-3G-3GS-p/1058_jp-ip3g-blk.htm

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Grab yer soldering iron and get this kit instead:
    mini boost

use rechargeable batteries and it's green and weighs just a few ounces.

note: i'm not associated with the product and have never tried it or even seen it, just heard good things.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools