Topic

Pertex and Permethrin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would like to treat Pertex Microlight clothing (Montane Litespeed Jackets) with Permethrin (insecticide) for an expedition in Alaska. What effect this will have on the “durable water repellent treatment” DWT the Pertex factory applies to this fabric and the material itself. Will it reduce the water repellency if placed over the fabric? Will the Permethrin effectively adhere to the DWT treated Microlight and Quantum?

Adrian Foley

@emslug

Many years ago on a 2-week scout jamboree I sprayed bug spray on the inside of the tent due to our close proximity to a swamp and a million mosquitoes. A few days later it started to rain and the result was that water seeped through exactly where I had sprayed which was right above me. My bag got wet and the rain stayed around for a few days so I was unable to dry it out. The end result was that I ended up with a bad case of pneumonia and a 2-week stay in the hospital. So my advice is not to treat any DWT with anything other than more DWT.

Bt the way I have motorcycle camped up the ALCAN and in Alaska up to the Artic Circle and I have never seen or have been bitten by more voraciously huge mosquitoes in my life. Think miniature Sikorsky helicopters. I just used Deet and that worked but only on my exposed flesh. Some places the mosquitoes would bite me through two layers of clothing and after making dinner the only respite was to retreat to the tent and kill as many of the buggers that had gotten in.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

that I was depending on being water repellant/water proof.

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

I would do some research on Permethrin and its effects on clothing and plastics. In the earlier post, “bug spray” was sprayed on the inside of the tent. It was probably DEET. As I recall, DEET or the material it is mixed with will damage plastics and other materials. It seems to act like a solvent. I have seen DEET smudge clear plastic windows. I have a bottle of Permethrin at home and I will check the label for you.

Anonymous

late reply, but…
    I have used permethrin (a water based type) on my pertex endurance bivy many times. It does not seemed to have affected it adversely. I also spray it all over my no-see-um bug netting and the exterior portions of my sleeping bag. Again, no ill effects.
    Oatman

Tim W

@watters

It is an insecticide, not a repellant. I understand that spraying it on socks and perhaps the bottom of pants or gaitors may kill ticks before they have a chance to crawl up a leg but I do not understand the benefit of spraying it on netting. Can ticks get through netting? Are they in contact with the poison long enough to kill them?

It seems the toxicity (carcinogen) risks outweigh the benefits except for high tick areas.

Anonymous

I spray it on the areas of netting that open near the zipper door where they might crawl through (as well as areas of the bivy they are likely to get access to). As to whether it kills them on contact, I have not tested it on ticks, but a short while after I treated my clothes, an ant crawled across about 10-12 inches of material, got what appeared to be confused, and looked like he was about to die.
    One issue with deer ticks (the primary source of Lyme disease) is that they are really small, much smaller than the “regular” tick, and thus really hard to see unless you are carefully studying an area trying to find them. They also drop from low trees and hang out in tall brush,trying to grab on to warm bodies as they pass by. Thus, treating only socks and gaiters may not be enough.
    In terms of toxcicity vs presumed benefit, that would be a judgement call of the individual. Having known someone with advanced Lyme disease, I choose the permethrin.
    Oatman

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/permethrin/cox-report/cox.htm

I find the statement
    “Permethrin has been found in streams and rivers throughout the United States. It is also routinely found on produce, particularly spinach, tomatoes, celery, lettuce, and peaches.”
    to be very interesting. Could this be caused by people wearing the chemical and going swimming and picking the produce while wearing it? Or could it be from agriculteral use?

While I have not experienced or know anyone that has experienced Lyme disease, I believe prolonged exposure to this type of carcinogen could be as bad if not worse.
    In short, I would say use of any chemical should be exercised with caution and in moderation. As far as ticks go… make sure you bring a friend and check each other regularly (who knows, it could even be a fun thing :O) ).

Jim Busick

@earthroamer

Jason Smith
    BPL Member

@jasons

Locale: Northeast

Mike where are you from? Here in North Eastern Connecticut 2 members of my family and many of my friends who spend serious time outdoors have been treated for lyme disease.

I’m sorry not a big fan of chemicals but I’ll stick with the Low absorption deet and permathin sprayed on to my clothes. So far using it, I have yet to find a tick that has gotten by the defense.

Sketters on the other hand, they can bite me all they want  Then again don’t know anyone with West Nile … yet

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools