Topic

Terra Nova Laser Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Terra Nova Laser Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Terra Nova Laser Tent Review

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Looks like a fair review. Would the Fly Creek stand up to the same winds better or worse in the reviewers opinion?

Calum Pallister

@calum

I use the smaller TN Competition to sleep two when fell running and I bought the "larger" TN Laser for more leisurely camping with my girlfriend. Unfortunately the TN Laser uses the same size pole as the TN Comp and the inner offers only marginally more room than the TN Comp, whilst the vestibule is significantly smaller. I don't have a problem with the wind stability and condensation, both of which can be managed with experience. However I agree that the tent is a little bit disappointing in practice because it is still too small for two (You can j-u-s-t get two 165cm neo-airs side by side, full length ones won't fit). It is best to sleep top-to-tail to make the most of the space. PS my layman's explanation for the elastic tie outs is to reduce stress on the fly when there are big gusts of wind.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

Terra nova laser competition works for two… Me and my girlfriend(ex) can sleep in competition. With normal laser, me and my friend can sleep in it, but nothin else can't do. If i take my jacket off i have to do it outside.

It's a great tent!!!

Willem Jongman

@willem

Of course Mountain Marathon racers use very small tents, but for everyone else I don't think a two person tent that does not accommodate two regular size mats is a useful concept. For the same reason I do not think the similar new Vaude Power Lizard hits the sweet spot. The new Exped Synmat basic is of course a bit narrower (48 cm) than regular size, but I for one would not want to confine myself to just one type of mattress. And even so, they would not fit into either the Laser or the Power Lizard.

Of course, one can view these tents as more spacious solo tents, but if that is what they are for, I would rather sacrifice some floor space and gain some height and perhaps have a larger entrance.

Willem

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I thought this was backpacking light! 2 short neoairs fit in a laser and 2 short expeds do when I fitted them in a corset that squeezes them together and compresses the back corners. We use it for long trips. We are 5'9" and 5'7", there is plenty of length. We use bigger Ti stakes and wish there was top ventilation. We have added the missing guys and are impressed by its ability in wind down its length. It is a warm tent.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

The Laser is able to take a lot of punishment from strong winds with the extra guy lines added. The condensation issue is no where as bad as a Akto. I have used both extensively and the Laser is way better in terms of managing condensation. Two person tent indeed if you want it to be and Derek has proven that with his wife many times. As a large one man tent it is proven and I regret trading down to the Laser Competition which is not as good in my view as the Laser.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"Would the Fly Creek stand up to the same winds better or worse in the reviewers opinion?"

Rog, I have had the Fly Creek in some stiff winds but was able to place it tail into it. In all honesty the Laser did better than my Seedhouse SL2's which share the same geometry with the FC2. I spent a night at 10,000 ft in winds that kept pulling the stakes out of one side. After the third time I gave up and supported the walls with my knees to keep it from collapsing the tent. The Laser did flex a lot but spilled the wind better than the Seedhouse from the sides.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Agree a two person tent is what you make it. We routinely "top-and-tail" and in this position you can fit two people much better into a narrow space, especially if they have short mats (TorsoLite anyone??)

Denis Walsh
    Spectator

@kd7kgc

Locale: Northern Rockies

It would seem to me that a tent that is good in "decent conditions", but doesn't meet protection needs well in "weather", just isn't that necessary. A tarp (BackpackingLight, after all) will do a fine job in "decent conditions". I'm just sayin'.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"After talking to locals who told me the mandatory camp sites have excellent staking terrain, I decided that the Laser would be the tent I took so as to have a fast set-up that keeps the inside dry. However, for my Sierra Nevada and local mountains, I think I will grab something else." [my emphasis]

So, rather than take different stakes, you would choose to take a different tent?

Perhaps something freestanding for zero-worry setup?

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Good, informative review.

Here are a few of my comments on using a Lazer:
    Overall I do like the Lazer. It's spacious as a solo shelter and definately tight for two but does work, but then I've used a Tarp Tent Contrail for my wife & I plus a 70 lb labrador.

I have had my Lazer in some very stiff winds with no problems and as far as condensation goes, more venting would be good but the Lazer is a big improvment over single wall.

The stakes it comes with are nearly worthless in my opinion.

The first couple times I pitched the Lazer,I thought there was way too much "fiddle factor" to get it pitched, but once I got the hang of it it isn't much different than any other tent.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

"Perhaps something freestanding for zero-worry setup?"

Exactly, Greg. I prefer a freestanding tent when on a lot of rock.

Wow, Ed. That's a full Contrail!

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

Thanks for the thorough objective review, Ray. I agree with everything you say except I find mine to be a royal pain in the … to set up. I'll take my Akto anyday, especially with the net inner. If anyone is interested, I'll sell my unused Laser with BPL titanium stakes at a good price!

Tom Bender

@shovelman

Locale: Out East, sort of

This configuration, with a center hoop and struts in the ends works terrific for the Tarptent Moment which sets up in 5 minutes with 2 stakes. Seems the Laser could be improved by adopting that stake and line arrangement.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I am happy to have added stakes to the Laser. I feel that security in wind is what I need not 2 stake set up. Each to his own though

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

the Tarptent Moment which sets up in 5 minutes with 2 stakes.
    ???
    How about 49 seconds ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA
    Franco
    OK, I can't do that in the bush, still it can be done…

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

I own a Tarptent Moment and the only way it would take 5 minutes to set up would be if a person consumed a fifth of Jameson beforehand.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Is this De Ja Vue from just a few months ago?
    I mean seriously, are there any other tents out there that people actually buy that could be reviewed?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools