Topic

Tahoe-Yosemite trail gearlist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tahoe-Yosemite trail gearlist

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Tomsky

@btomsky

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I hiked most of the TYT last July, based upon a plan to complete it in 11 days. Unfortunately, due to hiking companions’ injuries I had to bail at Lake Alpine, 72 miles from Meeks Bay. Later in the summer, I hiked the 40 miles from Lake Alpine to Kennedy Meadows.

Based upon my experience, I would recommend you allocate extra time for the stretch through the Mokelumne Wilderness (between hwy 88 and hwy 4), since the trails there were often extremely faint. Thomas’s advice to skip this section of the TYT and choose the PCT instead would definitely increase your efficiency. However, I really enjoyed this part of the TYT, esp through the Mokelumne canyon.

Wayfinding elsewhere was more or less straightforward, and would permit 20+ mile days.

Your gearlist looks pretty solid. I would say you can skip the rain pants, since rain is pretty infrequent in the Sierra at that time of year. In my eighteen days hiking there last summer, I never experienced rain. Afternoon thunderstorms can get u wet, but in my opinion it’s hardly worth it to bring and put on rain pants just for this. I would personally bring warmer tights for the nights, but I have no idea how warm those 1.5 oz Sahalie tights are. Don’t forget the DEET…

We used an Ursack (sans liner, always tied to a tree) and Bear Vault, neither of which were disturbed.

I recommend you have a look at this trip report, which I found very useful for trip planning: http://www.longtrails.com/tyt/

Best of luck on your hike.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Thanks Ben T,

I was thinking about changing the rain pants to wind pants, but I think not taking them at all would be fine.

I am planning on 10 days just in case, but hope to complete in 9. And plan on doing the whole thing and not skipping Mokelumne canyon

The tights arent super warm, but I wont spend alot of time out of the bag at night so they will work in the sleeping bag down to 30

I read the whole trp report you recomended and It has helped in planning, and oh yeah, I plan on bringing DEET and a cheap headnet.

As far as the URSACK, I have decided to bring the Hybrid (with liner), and tie it to a tree outside of yosemite. This I think is the best option to keep my food out of the hands of Mr. bear.

I have made a food plan, that I will post later. I think I have a good list, But It always helps to post.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I have always had a problem with carrying too much, and too heavy food, but for this trip I planned it, So I think I have a good list of food
    Cal. Oz.
    Breakfast
    240 02.40 Cliff Bar or power bar
    260 02.70 1/2 cup dried fruit

Lunch
    420 03.50 Bear Valley pemmican bar or pro bar
    340 02.00 1/2cup almonds or pecans
    210 01.50 M&Ms

Snacks
    420 02.70 6 oreo double stuff cookies
    440 05.00 3 Kellogs fruity snacks
    200 02.10 Gatorade drink mix-1liter

Dinner
    380 03.00 Top Ramen
    510 03.50 King sized Snickers bar

3420 clories
    28.4ounces (1.7bs)

It will not be the same every day, But it will be the same calories and weight every day.
    What do you think?
    suggestions?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I was planning on buying a pair of cloudveil peak pants for this trip, but I was looking at some windshells at montbell.com and came across some stretch windpants They say thaey work like an ultralight softshell, much like the clodveil pants.
    would there be any real difference in performance, they are both stretch, breathable, and water resistant.
    but the MB stretch windpants only cost $75, and weight 6.5oz

I think Montbells Stretch Ballistic could be a great three sesason softshell fabric, it is light, is wind and water resistant, and has a 2-way mechanical stretch.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Ryan,
    .0325″ 6061 T6 Ursack liner weighs 14oz. .009″ aluminum flashing costs $2 and weighs 4oz. Thus outfitted, an Ersatz Ursack weighs 10oz which is 1/4 the weight of a Bear Vault with 93% of the volume. The flashing may not slow a bear down, but it will appease a less than diligent, educated ranger. Any I have come across have been satisfied. As I wild camp when in Yosemite I have never had my sack tested by a bear. Yet.

SIBBG did not approve Ursack when tied due to damage to trees and soil around trees it is tied to. I wouldn’t think there would be any objection to tying it to a boulder or deadfall (which Ursack recommends). The researcher’s trial with untethered Ursacks found bears moved them very little. See <ursack.com> for reference and also <sierrawildbear.gov>

Violate Park Regulations at your own risk. If any system you use feeds a bear-for any reason, change your system. A human fed bear is a dead bear.

I quit using Sahalie tights (Mantyhose) due to lack of durability. They tore in the crotch after a couple of days.

Post your trip report. Would love to hear how it went.

Cheers, Al

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Thanks Al,

Interesting idea. I would do it, but I am sure my dad would not approve.

I took the tights off the list, I actually completely changed my clothing list. I am wearing running shorts and a shorts leeve under armour metal shirt, with a nike dri fit visor amd my wright socks and salomon XA pro 3Ds. I have come to love this clothing system for running, so I am going to test it out backpacking.
    and am only going to pack a wind jacket/pants, a long sleeve shirt, extra socks and a hat

Ray Baxter

@yesteray

If you have a look at this map, http://nps.gov/yose/wilderness/bfoodstoragem.htm of the areas in Yosemite where bear canisters are required, or this page listing the actual requirements, http://nps.gov/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm, I think you are in the clear on the TYT. Essentially the entire route inside Yosemite is clear of food storage requirements except the Benson Lake region and the final 13 miles from about Virginia Canyon to Tuoluomne Meadows.

Don’t camp in either of those two regions and you should not be required to carry a cannister.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I leave tommorow to go white water rafting with my family and leave for california immedietly after I return so this is my last day to post my gear list I plan to post a trip report when I return saying what worked and what dident

I also posted a food list which is in DAYS A and B meaning I trade off one day A then the next B

Tahoe-Yosemite Trail gearlist
    CLOTHING WORN OR CARRIED
    01.50 Nike Dri fit Visor
    03.70 Under Armor Metal short sleeve shirt
    04.10 Fitness gear running shorts
    01.10 Wrightsock double layer coolmesh socks
    31.40 Salomon XA pro 3Ds

OTHER ITEMS WORN OR CARRIED
    15.50 Leki ultralight ti air ergo poles w/ duct tape
    03.60 Garmin etrex Venture (on hipbelt)
    01.50 spectra lanyard with photon light, whistle, swiss mini champ

PACKING SYSTEM
    19.00 Golite Jam
    01.10 stuff sacks for bag, essentials, & stakes
    01.10 2.5 & 1 gallon ziplocks
    00.90 4 liter sea to summit ultra sil dry sack

SLEEPING AND SHELTER SYSTEM
    09.50 Golite poncho tarp
    02.00 BMW hi vis tent stakes (8) & Air core spectra 2 guy lines
    05.00 Torso sized ridgerest
    15.50 Nunatak Arc Ghost
    07.00 Titanium goat bivy w/ bug netting

COOKING AND HYDRATION SYSTEMS
    00.20 Tuna can esbit stove
    00.20 foil windscreen
    02.50 snow peak 450 ti mug with foil lid
    00.80 2 mini bic lighters
    00.30 lexan soup spoon
    01.80 platypus 1 liter bottles (2)
    19.70 URSACK TKO hybrid

OTHER ESSENTIALS
    02.50 Petzl tikka plus
    01.00 homemade first aid kit essentials
    02.00 finger tip toothbrush, tp, & Dr. bronners for washing & toothpaste
    01.50 banana boat spf 30 sport tube and lip screen
    01.00 cutter advanced bug repellent
    06.60 (2) Kodak disposable digital camera

CLOTHING PACKED
    08.50 Bozeman mountain works cocoon jacket
    02.50 Golite wisp wind shirt
    05.60 montbell stretch windpants
    04.50 Under armor heat gear long sleeve shirt
    01.10 wrightsock double layer coolmesh socks
    01.50 Reebok fleece hat

worn or carried 3.8 lbs
    in pack 7.8 lbs

FOOD LIST

Day A

240 Cliff bar
    260 ½ cup raisins
    100 2 slim jims
    200 ¼+ cup almonds
    280 4 oreoes
    160 Natures valley sweet and salty almond bar
    450 hillshire far pepperoni pack
    420 bear valley pemmican bar
    290 cookies n cream Go lean bar
    400 king size Hershey bar
    200 1 liter Gatorade
    500-800 Freeze dried dinner

3500-3800 calories

Day B

240 Cliff bar
    260 ½ cup raisins
    100 2 slim jims
    200 ¼+ cup almonds
    210 3 oreoes
    140 Natures valley Trail mix bar
    450 hillshire far pepperoni pack
    420 bear valley pemmican bar
    280 oatmeal raisin Go lean bar
    510 king size snickers bar
    200 1 liter Gatorade
    500-800 Freeze dried dinner

3510-3810 calories

About 19 lbs of food

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ryan why the eTrex? From Tahoe to Yosemite the trails are easy to follow and have signs. I would ditch the hybrid part of your Ursack. Even when you get into Yosemite, I believe that you are far enough away from roads, and if you’re spending the night withing the park, you can probably fake it. If they want to look at your food storage (and were not spending the night) you could show them where you came from on the map. That is assuming that you are finishing in Tuolumne Meadows of course. Enjoy the hike and watch out for thunder storms. We’ve had plenty up there this year.

Aaron Wallace
    BPL Member

@basilbop

Glen Aulin, which is rougly half-way between Tuolumne Meadows and the McCabe Lake junction (where bear canisters are no longer required on the PCT), has bear boxes.

However, “proper food storage” is required in *all* the Yosemite backcountry. It is not clear than a non-Hybrid Ursack qualifies as “proper food storage.” This site: http://nps.gov/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm could be read to suggest that you’d have to hang the Ursack to comply.

Or… just take the liner. It makes a good stove windscreen, if the weight needs to be justified by a second use.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Thanks for all the help in planning guys, I was real close to leaving the bear bag liner at home but the suggestion for use as a windscreen made me decide to bring it. I hate small wind screens they dont provide enough ventilaton for the stove to work well. I am sure the liner will work great. all my food and gear barely fits in my jam. For some reason I dont think it was designed for 10 day expeditions without resupply, But then again it carries the 30 pound load extremely well.

I leave in about 5 hours so wish me luck

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Have fun on your trip! I wish I was going to enjoy the outdoors but instead I’ll be at work. Take some great pictures :)

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Ryan,

How did those Salomon’s hold up on your trip? Any complaints?

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Hi guys Im back, sadly I found that my online subscripton has expired so I cant veiw all the new site content posted whie I was gone but I will fix that real quick.

anyway, The trip was great 9 days, 197 miles, 0 bears. sorry I did not think to get a picture CD made when I developed my pictures so I cant post any, I bought 3 more cameras along the trail so I have about 130 pictures, Ill know next time that 54 wont be enough. I was stunned at the scenery of the sierras, there were countless mountain lakes and streams, meadows and snow toped peaks. It was spectacular. and I did not even get into the high sierra. this trip basically convinced me that I want to thru hike the PCT in addition to the AT. I even met a guy that thru hiked in 02, and he told me alot of good info about thru hiking.

as far as recomending this trip to others, I say go for it. It is alot easier to get a permit than the JMT and you see some great country. But I would recomend just taking the section of the PCT from tahoe to yosemite, other than the route described in the book. there was one 18 mile section when we left the PCT, where the trail was overgrown with brush and plants and it is hard to stay on trail, I mean very hard, and also once you are out of the bush wacking through brush you are hiking along a river where it is hard to navigate through around and atop boulders and in some places there is some dangerous scrambling required. Whith nothing to look forward to other than the steepest climb of the whole trip out of the canyon. we met a college girl after we got out of the canyon who had just had to be helicoptered out because she fell and was injured and there were some people who were looking for a couple who had gone into the canyon before us and I did not see them and we came out before them, So in that one perticular section it is easy to get lost and even somewhat dangerous, my dad and I consider ourselves lucky we came out unhurt and with our lightweight packs in one peice.( my dad had a GG mariposia) But for those of us who like a challenge, Buy thomas winnets book and see what I mean.

But other than that the the trails were great.
    all my gear wrked well, we had one t-storm the second day and night but we stayed dry.
    I am especially happy with my montbell stretch wind pants and jam pack which survived the intense b-whacking at one point. and my cocoon jacket/ arc ghost sleeping system wich worked with a wide range of night time temperatures I had this trip.

and Russell

the salomons were great, no failure, and with my wrightsocks I had no blisters. They are so far my favorite shoe and also my second pair.
    they worked beautifully.

the only thing I would have changed for this trip would be the menu

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

glad you got to enjoy the Sierra’s Ryan!

Stephen Jones
    BPL Member

@joness606

Locale: Central Florida

Ryan,

I’ve been following your thread for several months but had nothing significant to add. Glad all went well.

I’m about to take 17 days to hike the TYT solo starting 24 September with food drops at Lake Alpine and Kennedy Meadows. It’s a slow pace compared to your’s but I’m probably older than your dad (age is no excuse so let’s just say I want to enjoy myself along the way).

I’m interested in your comments on the Summit City Creek portion of the trail. You characterize it a poorly maintained and overgrown, going on to indicate that it is somewhat dangerous. On another site I read a recommendation to “wear long pants” on this portion of the route. Can you provide some additional info on the trail condition as well as the climb out.

Thanks,
    Steve Jones

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

today I finally got around to scanning and croping all my pictures from my trek last august (Im bringing my digital camera next time;P)

here are just a few of my favorites

**EDIT**

moved the gallery

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

just a note.

that sign in the middle actually says
    BOND PASS
    ELEV. 9800

I put this in because it was the entrance to yosemite on this trip, not because it was the high point. there was another pass over 10,000 feet, but i dident get a picturre of it

and thosee feet on the bottom are mine at the end of the trip. NO blisters, ingrown nails, or other problems the whole time,(my dad did not have as much luck) just very dirty feet and toe nails :D

Kevin Vandergrift
    Spectator

@krazyvan

Great pictures!!! Looks like an awesome hike. I really can't wait to hike out west. Any regrets on any of your gear choices?

Gabriel August

@gaugust

Locale: Penn's Woods

congrats on the trip ryan. i just found your thread. those pictures look great!

quick question. i read the trip report from the two guys that was linked to this thread. they described a lot of trouble finding the trail in several spots. did you have much trouble finding the trail? did you use your gps much or mostly map and compass stuff?

thanks

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Regarding unmaintained TYT: I've hiked all of the TYT from Meeks Bay to Summit City Creek and Lake Alpine to St. Mary's Pass. I have a friend who's hiked the TYT from Lake Alpine to Meeks Bay, in October. He said it wasn't difficult to find his way, even in the snow. You may do some route finding from Summit City Creek, below 4th of July Lake, to Camp Irene. Especially the North Fork of the Mokelumne River below Summit City Creek. I don't have any current information on the trail from Camp Irene to Lake Alpine. From Lake Alpine to St. Mary's Pass it's a good trail all the way to Clark Fork Meadow. Once you begin the climb out of the Clark Fork (west from CFM) you just need to follow the ridge easterly to St. Mary's Pass. There was a lone post at the top of the pass years back. If it's gone, just turn south before you start up the west face of Sonora Peak. You'll be above timberline and rout finding is fairly easy.

Good Luck on the trip. It should be fun.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Thanks Dennis,

this is actually an old thread, I completed the trail last august.

Like you said, the majoraty of the trail is on well maintained trails, and the off trail section above Clark Fork Meadow was one of the highlights of the trip. The trail ends in the meadow, so we had to climb up onto the ridge. It required some route finding, but the veiws from this section of the trail to St. marys pass were spectacular. This ridge was very easily followed.

The problems that we encountered were in the valley below 4th of July Lake and after summit city creek, the trails were completely overgrown and somewhat abandoned, and the walking along th mokelumne river was extremely difficult because it was surrounded by rock and boulders. the trail was marked my small stacks of rocks (ducks) be even still, it was very hard to follow. It requried some moderate-dangerous bouldering and bush whacking in this valley. and the climb out of it was probably the steepest of the trip, and there was a large feild of ice at the top, so we ended up having to go around it (we dident have crampons or ice axe) which required us having to traverse the slope, which was fairly difficult and dangerous considering the grade and us not having anything to arrest a fall.

but in the end, It was a great trip. other than about 18 miles it was on great trails. And I enjoyed the experience of the sierras.

Ive heard something about a Sierra High Route.
    Im thinking about that for the future, it sounds simmilar to the TYT, just more southern, into the High sierra.

Please check out the gallery from the TYT

Michael Sagehorn

@msagehorn

I enjoyed reading your preparation and your photos of your trip. I've hiked all the sections, some several times. I began hiking the trail segments as a Scout in 1973 and re-hiked nearly the whole trail leading a crew from my son's Troop the last few years.

The Summmit City Canyon to Camp Irene segment was a brush buster back in the 1970's too. Before the anti-cotton craze, we were thankful for our long Levi's covering our legs down to our workboots and Pivettas.

Back then I carried a red Gerry pack internal frame with horizontal zippers. It was small and compact and left little room for extras. We were ultralight before it was noticed by the outdoor equipment industry. We cooked over small fires and slept under the stars. We'd use the poncho as our roof or simply just got wet and built up the fire when the rain stopped before dinner to dry out. We were young and it didn't really bother us too much.

I'm glad to see you made the trip.9 days is a spectacular pace.

I have a few copies of the Thomas Winnet book and with the exception of the section from Lake Alpine to Clark Fork (Gabbot Meadow is now underwater by Spicer Res.) the guidebook does a good job. It's now out of print by Wilderness Press.

Thanks for jogging up some good memories for me. I'm going up the Carson Pass in a week.

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

I'd get one of them platypus as 2 liter – for the extra weight you get a big increase in the amount of water you can carry. Unless that didnt work with your pack somehow.

P. Jeffrey North

@pjnorth1949

I am planning to hike the TYT in August 2009 and I appreciate all the information contained in this great thread from Ryan. Are other resources avaialable which I should consult in preparation? Thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools