Topic

MYOG pack. How to attach shoulder straps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG pack. How to attach shoulder straps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Locale: Finland, Espoo

Thinking to make new pack. Golite ion style, very simple desing.

How to attach shoulder straps to bottom of pack? I read 5 yard to SUL article and i have new idea (maybe).

Pack is straight tube. Top closure is drawstring. Shoulder straps is sewed like the normal way in upped end.

Bottom is not round. It's like drybag closure with long webbing. See picture:
    reppu

Is this good or bad idea?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Timo,
    I don't sew and haven't made a pack, but I think that's a pretty neat idea. It seems (to me) that it would simplify the hipbelt design. I'll be interested in what others think.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

it seems to me that this idea would pull the webbing belt to the center of the bottom of the pack just like the top of a dry bag. I don't think it would be as comfortable as with the belt coming from the sides of the pack a few inches from the bottom.

That said, there's only 1 way to know anything for sure. Make a prototype.

-Tim

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

My picture is bad, sorry.

Webbing is for shoulder straps. Not hip belt.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

if no hip belt then this should be very easy to make and should work fine. Not sure it is any easier than making a square bottom like on a stuff sack but is worth a try.

-Tim

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

reppu2

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

ok, now my tiny brain is on the right track. That is very slick! Good thinking.

-Tim

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Timo,
    If you roll the bottom webbing and sew it, how will you get it to run through buckles?

Or are you dropping adjustability?

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

"Timo,
    If you roll the bottom webbing and sew it, how will you get it to run through buckles?
    Or are you dropping adjustability?"

Shoulder straps is like normal backpack, only difference is attachment to pack bottom.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Got it.
    Rolled at the bottom, flat at the buckle.

Sounds good.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Looks like extra webbing to me, which is the heaviest part of a ul pack.

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

Weight of extra webbing is max 9g. (0,31oz) Extra of webbing lenght is about same as packs width. It's 15-20"

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

I'm a gram weenie I suppose…total weight of my 2800 c.i. MYOG pack is 4.25oz. I think I could get it under 4oz though.

Would love to see some photos once you make your prototype!

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

I put some photos here when pack is done! (i'm not sure do i have webbing in my MYOG box)

Can you tell more about yours pack, photos?

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I've been meaning to post info in the MYOG section, but haven't had a chance. Here's mine and my wife's packs on our recent PCT section A hike…PCT-A 069

Main body is 1.3oz silnylon. Outside pockets are 1.1oz nylon. Shoulder straps and hip belts (only wife's has hip belts) are 2.1oz nylon. Built like a large stuff sac, reinforced at pressure points. We have a couple hundred miles on them and still kicking!

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

How about shoulder straps in upper end. In my desing there is no seam where i can sew shoulder straps. I going to sew straps middle of the fabric and i fear durability.

One way is glue and sew same fabric about 5×15" piece inside pack. Then sew shoulder straps middle of this piece. I think it's add durability, but is it enough? Material is normal lighweight silnylon.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Same here Timo. I sewed a 3.5" x 10" piece of 2.1oz nylon to the inside of the pack (didn't glue). Then I box stitched the shoulder straps to that area, then used three vertical bar-tacks across the area. The part that attaches to the pack is about 3" x 1", and I used a 1 1/4" seam allowance at the ends of the straps so they would be double thick. No signs of stress.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Timo,

Check out Jay Ham's article on sewing a SUL pack.

https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process

Click on the link below and click on number 3., LAB 2300 cu. in. Pack, under the listing backpacks. Then click on construction, followed by a click on Padded shoulder strap assembly.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

There are plenty of pictures and instructions in both links. The second link also has instructions for a hip belt.

I hope this helps. :-)

Party On ! 2010

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Sorry! Deleted accidental double post. :-P

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Timo Anttalainen

@timoa

"Timo,
    Check out Jay Ham's article on sewing a SUL pack.
    https://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process
    Click on the link below and click on number 3., LAB 2300 cu. in. Pack, under the listing backpacks. Then click on construction, followed by a click on Padded shoulder strap assembly.
    http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
    There are plenty of pictures and instructions in both links. The second link also has instructions for a hip belt.
    I hope this helps. :-)"

Backpackinglight link is broken…

Thanks to that other link!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Timo,

Sorry about the broken link to BPL. Try this link to the same web page.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_five_yards_to_sul_part_4.html

Party On ! 2010

Newton

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools