Topic

frame on Nimbus vs. ULA Circuit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) frame on Nimbus vs. ULA Circuit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I finally got a bit of time with some Granite Gear Nimbus packs, and found the internal frame to be a bit flexy for the weight I'll likely carry most of the time, and my friend has complained about his frame sagging when around 30lbs. I know the N. Ozone is rated to 40lbs, but am not sure about how that rating compares in practice to the ULA Circuit, which I looked at briefly but didn't get a sense of the frame support (rated up to 35lbs)…I know the Catalyst will definitely do the job, but I wouldn't mind trying to go smaller and lighter).

Anyone have both or know how they compare?

David Ure

@familyguy

My Circuit had decent comfort to the high 20's. It could be pushed farther, of course. My Ozone was comfy to 42lbs. So obviously, YMMV!

The Circuit frame will flex much more at those weights, by the way.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I find my Circuit blissfully comfortable up to 20 lbs. By 25 lbs, I have a bit of weight on my shoulders. At 30 lbs, it's getting fairly uncomfortable, with quite a bit of weight on my shoulders. Over 35 lbs. and it feels like there's a large person sitting on my shoulders. YMMV.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

exactly what I was looking for…thanks for the feedback (and keep it coming)

I will have to double check with my buddy on the limits of his ozone

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

A little over a week ago I was in Damascus Va. and wandered into MRO. An employee I talked to in person at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus Va. (which is one of the two outdoor retail shops in the country that sell ULA packs) said that he wouldn't really exceed 25 for the circuit or 30 for the Catalyst. This was his opinion and not mine but it seems like other posters are confirming his statement. To be crystal clear I do not own and have never owned either of these packs. I also have no affiliation with MRO or ULA. Don't forget that the 35 for the Circuit and the the 40 for the Catalyst posted on the ULA website are the "recommended max loads" for these packs. It seems to be the popular opinion that they are much more comfortable with less than the max recommended weight stowed in them.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Circuit – 36oz weight, max comfort @ 25lbs
    Zpack Z1 – 6oz weight, max comfort @ 22-23 lbs

My frameless Zpack's "max comfort" load is somewhere in the low 20's (say 22-23lbs) — which seems to be the typical upper range for most frameless packs with a webbing hip belt. Thus compared, the Circuit's internal frame doesn't seem to be doing all that much — if it adds almost 2 lbs of weight to carry about 2lbs more comfortably!

My Mountainsmith Ghost — which weighs about the same as the Circuit and shares its Delryn rods structure — carries very comfortably to the high twenties — I would say to just under 30lbs. The similarly weighted GG Vapor Trail with HDPE framesheet carries a load comfortably to 30lbs as well.

There's always going to be subjectivity here, but the 25 lbs "general consensus" (if that's what it is) for the Circuit seems to point to a rather unimpressive pack???

Jeffrey Kuchera
    BPL Member

@frankenfeet

Locale: Great Lakes

In terms of pack weight, load capacity, and price I was never really impressed with ULA athough I know that the members of their occult are on their way to my house to silence me as I type this. But just like with any other gear item different people have different preferences I would suppose. There seem to be some rivals for the circuit and the catalyst given their respective weight classes and load capacities.

David Ure

@familyguy

Ben – if you find your Zpack is comfy at 22lbs, you will likely find the Circuit comfy at 35lbs. I find frameless packs comfy at about 15-17lbs for trekking all day.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

David:

No right or wrong answers, of course, but I think "most" people are fine with weights to the low twenties for their frameless packs. You and Ray Estrella are two exceptions that come to mind.

I wouldn't mind giving the Circuit a try — and see just how much it can comfortably carry for me. But truth be told, 30lbs is the "comfort limit" for my beloved MS Ghost and the GG Vapor Trail (which I tried @ REI years ago). I would be surprised if the Circuit will go up to 35lbs… Wanna ship me your Circuit for a quick look-see? :)

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

The probhlem with asking a question about the ULA Circuit is you have to find out if the person commenting has the pack version with the Alumn. Stay in it or not that was introduced as an option in 2009 and became standard only this year. Prior years didn't offer it.

I found my '09 Circuilt with the Alum Stay (I can remove it) to handle mid 30's with good comfort. I didn't feel my shoulders complaining too much even when I pushed it up to 42lbs on a 11 day stretch of trail in the Sierras. I carried it for 5months straight on a thru-hike with weights ranging from mid 20's to low 40's and never felt that the pack was overweight or carried bad.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good point! I was assuming all along that "max comfort" would include the stays. Maybe not…

David Ure

@familyguy

"You and Ray Estrella are two exceptions that come to mind."

And ironically we are both big strong guys. Must put too much pressure on our massive shoulders.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I don't think 20 lbs is too much pressure. Age is more likely. :) (heh heh)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools