Topic

Favorite UL Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite UL Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Alot of fans of removable frames… Those of you who are, do you remove the frame to reduce overall pack weight or do you add the frame for support when carrying a heavy load???

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Has to be my new MLD Burn. Took it out for an overnighter this past weekend. I love it. The shoulder pads are super comfy. Had Ron add the Ark hip belt to it and it is super comfy as well. It is going to be the pack I go to all summer long. Love it so much I ordered an Exodus after I got back home.

Lee Fitler

@tdilf

Although not the lightest, I love my ULA Circuit. It fits great and is very well made. Super attention to detail in this pack. I am hoping to strip some weight out of it soon.

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

ULA Conduit ….it's all the pack i will ever need

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

2004 Six Moons Designs Starlite, to which I added the ULA hip belt with pockets (though SMD now offers a similar hip belt as an option.)

I have a lot of packs, but this is the one I would keep over all the others. Comfortable, easy to use, plenty of room for winter gear but compresses well for summer use.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Alot of fans of removable frames… Those of you who are, do you remove the frame to reduce overall pack weight or do you add the frame for support when carrying a heavy load???"

Right now, instead of a removable frame pack, I have two backpacks — one with and one without a frame. I'm happy enough with this, but if there's a good pack with an easily removable frame and hip belt, then I can see myself buying this one pack to replace the two that I currently have.

I would remove the frame and hip belt — and replace with a webbing belt — for loads below 23-25 lbs. It's matching a light weight pack to carry a light weight load.

But for week-long trips or for carrying extra water, then I will want to put back the frame and hip belt to haul the load more comfortably. Again, matching the pack with the load at hand.

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

Verastility – BPL Arctic – with a 25L dry bag, this may just be the best pack around -check the forums for my review and stories of doing deep- in – the – woods – emergency- sewing though.

Really Light Trips – MYO Ray Way with some mods

Wish it was Cuben – GG Murmur – don't use it much because I'm scared of durability problems

Logan

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I am down to only one pack now for all overnight to multi week trips. It is an SMD 2006 Starlight. I have been resisting the temptation but have come REALLY close to pulling the trigger on the new 2010 Swift and the ULA CDT. The thought of shaving 10oz is awfully temping.

I have gotten to the final checkout phase multiple times on both packs…..it's just a matter of time.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

I really like my SMD Swift '10. Though I dont have much to compare it too- it is simply amazing.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

My (Old School) ULA P2 has taken me on all of my multi-day trip over the years and my MLD Ark is better suited for weekend trips….

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

I have two UL backpacks. my golite pinnacle and my REI flash UL (predecessor to the flash 18). i really like my flash pack, especially since i modified it to be 5 oz by cutting out the inside stuff and the hip-belt. I've been just turning it inside out and using it as a stuff sack inside my pinnacle that way i have a small daypack if needed.

I would like to try out the S2S ultrasil backpack next though. it has a little more capacity and weights half as much.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Summer: Zpacks Zero 2000 Cuben w/ Hip-belt pockets and bungee.
    + ultra-simple
    + very durable
    + excellent craftsmanship
    + reasonable price
    + flexible (modular) design
    + made in USA / cottage mfr.
    + 3 oz. weight
    – too beautiful ;)

Winter/Climbing: Osprey Exos 58
    + comfortable for the weight of winter gear
    + air frame
    + excellent organization
    + removable lid for summit pushes (yes, they do have a practical use) or to leave behind to save 4 oz.
    + feature rich
    + excellent warranty
    + well made
    – but plenty of unnecessary superfluity
    – too many seams
    – not made in USA
    – could be lighter

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

Mine is my golite jam2 with all of the extra weight off. My favorite non-ultralite pack is my gregory z55. It just oozes quality and fits well. (but has about 100 buckles that you have to mess with when you need something.)

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I have only one, because it suits my needs admirably. It's a McHale SuperSARC, custom-fitted, made of Dyneema.

It fits perfectly (duh), carries 65+ pounds quite well, and it's a lot lighter than I'd expected, though I've only hefted it empty when it was brand new.

(Carrying 65+ pounds isn't my preference, but it's nice to know that my pack can let me do that if I really need to.)

The main reason for having such a large pack is that I carry a view camera. There's a limit to how small you can make a 4×5 and its associated gear (lenses, tripod, film holders, etc).

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Osprey Exos 58 covers me year round. In summer I leave the top pocket at home, add it back on for longer or winter trips. Definitely not UL, but the lightest I've found that is still comfortable to carry.

Joe Vigil
    BPL Member

@jvigil

For weekenders, I love my GG Mariposa Plus (24oz).
    For my 8-dayers, I love my Mountainsmith Auspex (3lbs 11oz).

Anonymous
    Inactive

1. Winter, or 4-7 days other seasons-Circuit
    2. 2-4 days GG Gorilla

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

My Kelty Goshawk 2200ci is only my 2nd pack and i love it. Its not exactly UL at 34 oz, but is way lighter than my old Jansport 5500ci pack that was over 6 pounds. Its big enough for weekends with plenty of compression options, yet light enough to keep my base weight around 9 pounds.kelty goshawk

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Mine is my six moon designs traveler.

Obviously lightweight. It can be frameless. The best features to me are the comfort while carrying and the space. It is almost too large for the gear that I carry.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

-Carries well
    -Right size for my gear
    -Can reach side pockets easily while wearing
    -Back pockets keep things handy/drying

Highly recommended!

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

Mountainsmith ghost (original blue model) for shorter trips
    Mariposa for longer.

I am almost always carrying a bear canister, so need a little more volume.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Right now a 2005 Starlite with stays (28 oz.) but teetering on ordering a 2010 Swift.

For high weight trips (lots of water) the Mountainsmith Auspex is hard to beat, with out top lid 3lbs. 6 oz., haven't carried it in sometime though as I have pushed the Starlite to 40#

Darin Kizer

@dkizer

Locale: New England

Blast 18 is my favorite UL pack

Mine weighs 5.6oz and can carry 22lbs including a Garcia bear canister very comfortably. I fold over a 1/8" thinlight pad to use as padding.

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

1st gen ULA Conduit, it just works and is so comfortable. My only change would be to have GG-style mesh pocket for a SitLight pad. That said, a GG Gorilla may be in my future.

What ULA packs do that allow them to carry so well (and what I've yet to see from any other manufacturer) is where the shoulder straps attach to the bottom of the pack. Not the bottom-front where the hip belt attaches, but the bottom-back where the big outer mesh pocket stops.

Actually, I just checked and the newer models don't do that anymore, bummer.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

But I love my Osprey Exos 46. I have mine down to 34 oz. For those who say it isn't UL, it is when it combined with all your gear is still under 10 lbs base weight.

I didn't like the frameless GG Virga or Golite Jam (2010) or the ply frame Golite litespeed.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools