Topic

Jordan River Pathway

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Jordan River Pathway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Hi folks! I've been preparing for my first backpacking trip for a few months now, and y'all have been my main source of inspiration. I chose the Jordan River Pathway of Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula as my first trip, and was more than rewarded. Now, as soon as I got out of my car, I was swarmed by bugs the likes of which I had never experienced before, so I sprayed myself up and got everything out of my car as rapidly as possible and hit the trail. Turns out, as long as I kept moving, the insects didn't bother me at all, and even if I did stop, they were only intimate, not hostile. Even so, whenever I thought of relieving myself, my private parts assured me that there was no hurry. Oh, so: it's an 18-mile loop with a campground in the middle. I had a great time. Except for the hour-and-a-half when I was Blair-Witch-style lost. Here are some photos:
    Start
    My head
    Valley
    High grassy place
    Birch over river
    River
    Pinney Bridge Campground
    Rain on silnylon -- sleep in...
    Crazy mossy field -- helpful marker later when I'm lost
    Lovely rain-drenched forest -- how could I be bothered to look for blazes?
    River
    Valley
    Special thanks to the Michigan Adventurers Club who helped me get back on track that second morning. :)

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Blair Witch style lost! LOL. Great stuff. Michigan is such a dense and GREEN state, I couldn't imagine backpacking in a green tunnel. It does look beautiful and it was nice to see spring has made its way up there. I hope you get more intimate with the insects in the next couple months as it warms up. Cheers.

Nate Powell

@powell1nj

Locale: North Carolina

Peter,
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. I've done the Jordan River loop a couple of times and always loved it. Did you happen upon any morels? I was up there last year in the beginning of May and we got into them big time – they're a pretty amazing addition to dinner. If you haven't already, you should look into the Manistee River Loop west of Cadillac. Its a really nice as an over-nighter or two-night trip. It's pretty popular so I've always tried to hit it during the middle of the week. Anyway, keep posting the MI trip reports – best backpacking in the Midwest IMHO.

Peter Treiber
    BPL Member

@peterbt

Locale: A^2

Yeah, Eugene, the greenness was the defining feature. The second day began with rain, and the damp lushness of the trail was so enchanting I didn't notice there were no blazes anywhere! Oops!

I had my eye out for morels, but didn't spot any… The Manistee River Trail has been on my radar for my next hike — I'll take your advice about avoiding the crowds. Any advice about where to start and camp, Nathan?

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

I just dayhiked the Manistee River trail on Memorial day.

There are two campgrounds/trail heads where you can park at the manistee river trail. One is seaton creek campground which is on McClush road and the other is the Red bridge campground. Red Bridge is on N. Coates Highway and is the only road crossing the manistee river inbetween the hodenpyl dam pond and the tippy dam pond.

Hope that helps. Its an awesome trail.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools